Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Scalp allergy/dermititis shampoo? 2016/3/19 17:19
I need a shampoo that will help with seborrhic dermititis (itchy scalp, red with irritation, and so on.).

Could anyone post links to possible products?
by Anon (guest)  

Re: Scalp allergy/dermititis shampoo? 2016/3/19 22:31
If you need ketoconazole as the active ingredient, you might want to import shampoo called Nizoral. 1% concentration shampoo is available OTC in the US, and 2% strength is available at pharmacies (without prescription) in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Thailand, as far as I know.
In Japan, the only one that is similar is Koraaju Furufuru by Mochida Pharmaceutical.
http://karadanokabi.jp/
(I know because my spouse had it in the past.)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Scalp allergy/dermititis shampoo? 2016/3/20 06:19
Thanks for the link!

Did your spouse eventually get rid of, or control the problem? Mine is driving me nuts with itchy and sensitive skin top of head. Doc's meds don't seem to be helping too much.
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Scalp allergy/dermititis shampoo? 2016/3/20 07:15
Seborrhea (Seborrheic Dermatitis) is felt to be due to a sensitivity to fungi that normally inhabit the skin. It's the most common cause of dandruff. Three types of treatment exist.

The first includes topical steroids, like Fluocinolone or Beclomethasone solution. This treatment reduces the inflammatory response to the fungi. These are prescription drugs in the U.S.

The second type includes antifungal medications. Most anti-dandruff shampoos are antifungal. Zinc pyrithione (Head and Shoulders), Selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue), and the aforementioned Ketoconazole (Nizoral). These are over the counter in the U.S.

The third type includes Tar based shampoos. It isn't clear how this works . Neutragena T-gel is such a shampoo, but has a strong smell, which turns off many people.

If you can find such shampoos with those ingredients in Japan (I always take my own shampoo on my visits), then they can work. Some need to use multiple methods to get results. I believe a simple google search should yield decent results.

I know, TMI.

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Scalp allergy/dermititis shampoo? 2016/3/20 11:43
The same poster here... This time logged in.

Yes, my spouse got rid of it eventually, after using the ointment given by the doctor containing that same ingredient I believe, and using the Nizoral for a while. Temperature and humidity and stress level seemed to play a part too, though. I hope your goes away soon...
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread