Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/24 00:32
I am studying in an international school in Pakistan but I have a Japanese citizenship. If I decide to study in Japan and take English courses in undergraduate school in Japan, will it be possible for me to become a doctor in Japan?
by Anna Hatheway (guest)  

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/24 16:40
I assume you mean medical doctor. You need to attend and graduate from a medical school (6 years) in Japan to become a doctor. I doubt there is any universities/colleges that provide medical courses in English in Japan.

To be accepted in any college in Japan (as you hold Japanese citizenship, I doubt you will be accepted as "international student"), people who are not fluent in Japanese enrol in Japanese language schools for 1.5 to 2 years to get their language proficiency to working level, then take entrance exams to college/university.

If you get qualified in your country as a doctor, and then take the medical doctor's exam in Japan and pass it (it will all be in Japanese) with relevant ministry's permission you could become a doctor in Japan, but either way it will require many years of language study.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/25 02:20
Can a student take the language program while studying for their undergraduate degree?
by Anne Hathway (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/25 07:16
What you are talking about is practically impossible.

Medicine is an undergraduate degree in Japan. So, you attempt to enter after high school. To do this, you need to be able to compete with the top 1% of Japanese high school seniors. You need to have the ability to read literature in Japanese. Furthermore, your academic abilities have to be absolutely of the highest order. Again, all in Japanese.

You could try a language school, and then take the exam later. However, 18 months simply won't get you to the extremely high Japanese requirements - maybe 2 years at language school, then another year at Juku.

At the end of the course, it's unclear whether anyone would hire you. I think very few Japanese would ever want to go to see a non-Japanese doctor.

For me, on balance, the 10 years or so required to qualify, and the fact that you might not get a job - for me, I wouldn't be willing to spend so much time or money in this.

by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/25 16:54
What I am trying to say is can I join the language school while studying in college where I will take english courses for the time being? And then by the end of 4 years, I would be proficient in Japanese and would be able to take the exam while having completed 4 years of college.

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/25 17:27
Medicine is an undergraduate degree in Japan.

Seems that you would need to do the language study, then medical school consecutively.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/25 17:35
Because medicine is an undergraduate degree in Japan, you would have to study another course in English (but you could study something related). I think it would be better to concentrate fully on language courses so you can start your medical degree sooner. Especially because the scientific and medical vocabulary would be very intense.

Make sure you are willing to take the risk of not being hired in Japan, though. They are a xenophobic people, but in general most people would prefer to see a native, not foreign, doctor - no matter how well they speak the local language.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/25 17:41
They are a xenophobic people, but in general most people would prefer to see a native, not foreign, doctor - no matter how well they speak the local language.

Keep in mind this isn't a "xenophobic Japan" issue, rather it's a common issue worldwide.

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/25 18:23
Hence why I added the "in general" - I meant that most people would prefer to see a doctor from their own cultural group.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/25 18:26
Yes, but it still needed clarifying. Please try to avoid such direct "they are a xenophobic people" comments in the future. They're rarely acceptable statements on the forum (or correct for that matter).

Re: How to become a doctor in Japan? 2016/3/26 00:52
So if I do consider studying in Japan, (although there is a high chance, it'll be a bad decision) I'll have to first join a language school after high school, for about 2 years and then do 6 years of med school in Japan? When does one take the exam? Or do I take it after finishing language school in order to gain admission into med/undergrad school?

reply to this thread