Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Applying for residency? 2016/3/27 23:36
Hey guys,

I've tried to google this but haven't had luck finding my answer.

I am getting married with a Japanese citizen and I have my own country's citizenship (European) We live in Australia and we are waiting for our Australian permanent residency.

I was wondering if I could apply for a Japanese recidency after marriage or a spousal visa? We won't move or settle down in Japan though. We will register our marriage ASAP.

Just wanted to let you know that we are also expecting a baby so if that helps anyways?:)
by Sarah (guest)  

Re: Applying for residency? 2016/3/28 10:15
It's better to say what you actually want to achieve, rather than using technical terms incorrectly.

So, what do you want to do, since aparently you don't want to move to Japan?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for residency? 2016/3/28 10:21
I was wondering if I could apply for a Japanese recidency after marriage or a spousal visa? We won't move or settle down in Japan though. We will register our marriage ASAP.

First thing first, get your marriage informed/registered at Japanes & your country embassy once you are married in Aus.

Remembered to registered/inform your baby birth to respective embassy if you want your baby to have citizenship.

Applying for visa/residency status means that you will/plan to stay in Japan. So confuse with your "We won't move or settle down in Japan though."

What is the point of applying if you do not stay/settle in Japan ?

If you are talking about just visiting, then it depend on your country immigration relation with Japan, whether your country is of waive visa for short stay. If not then tourist/temporary visa will be required.

Again, I may have misread your title against your post...

by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for residency? 2016/3/28 19:00
When you get married, the Japanese national is obligated to report their marriage to the Japanese authorities, so your Japanese spouse should report the marriage in Australia to the Japanese authorities, either via Embassy of Japan in Australia or via post.

If in the future you decide that the two of you want to live in Japan, you could apply for a "Spouse of Japanese" visa then. This is to ensure that the non-Japanese national can live with the Japanese spouse in Japan, so you don't apply for it if you don't intend to live in Japan :)

Permanent residency is something you can apply for after you've lived in Japan for some time on Spouse resident status.

If you have the baby in Australia, be sure to report the child with the Japanese authorities to reserve citizenship for the baby (on the ground that he/she is born to a Japanese parent). I don't know what your country's or Australian law states, but a baby born to a Japanese parent (assuming you are married at the time of birth) can claim Japanese citizenship, but you need to report the birth to the Japanese authorities.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread