Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Window air conditioner 2016/3/31 06:43
I would like to have a small window air con installed in my 6 tatami room. The windows are typical 2-pane sliding frosted glass in a back room.

Questions:

1. Is fitting simple and without and destruction of existing window parts?

2. Is it something I should ask the owner's permission to do?

3. Outside noise can be a problem. Will fitting this allow in noise that was previously not audible?

Thanks!
by Anon (guest)  

Re: Window air conditioner 2016/3/31 11:23
It can be installed on the existing window part on yourself in 30 -40 mins.

No need to ask for the permission to install to the owner unless you make a hall or something. Window airconditioners don't require a hall.

The noise is very quite if you buy a brand new window airconditioner, do not use a used window airconditioner if you have concern with noise.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Window air conditioner 2016/3/31 15:05
Thanks. As it's just a 6 tatami concrete mansion room, would another possibility be just a cooler? Would that do the job in the real heat and humidity of a Nagoya summer? Something like this...コロナ(CORONA) 冷風・衣類乾燥除湿機 「どこでもクーラー」.

by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Window air conditioner 2016/3/31 15:08
tokyo friend

By noise, I don't mind internal noise, as it's kind of white noise that will block out other noisy neighbor type noises when I study. I meant noise from outside. Would I lose a lot of outside noise protection that the window (such as it is, single-glazed) gives, by having it basically open and filled in with whatever pieces come with the air con kit?
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Window air conditioner 2016/3/31 15:41
Corona window airconditioner says "library atmosphere"(40dB), so I would image the noise is very quite for both inside and outside.
But noise standards may vary from person to person, so I would recommend you to buy a Japanese brand window airconditioner rather than Chinese or Korean brands. Japanese brands are quite sensitive with noise.

I'm not sure how much portable dehumidifiers work inside.

If your tatami 6-jo room is on the ground floor, I think you can survive with the window airconditioner and electric fan, if you live in upper floor you may need an electric airconditioner(need to open a hall for tubes if it's not installed). The heat comes from wall and roof.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread