Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Car body damage and user shaken process 2016/3/31 09:07
I recently got a 10 year old car from a friend who went back to the States, but the shaken is up this month. I've been researching online and it seems like the cheapest way to go about the process is to do User Shaken myself and save on excess dealer fees, especially considering the car's age.

For being 10 years old, the car is in remarkably good condition as far as the 60 point checklist is concerned. However, it seems that someone in the car's history has had a bit of trouble with crashing into things, and there are plenty of dents, scrapes, and even a rocker panel (under the rear door on one side) with a pretty large crack straight down the middle, with just about 2 cm of the damaged part still connected to the rest of the panel. I've managed to reattach it by buying a cheap little fastener from a local home store (and it's secure enough that it won't pop off unless I were to crash into something), but the crack and damage is still fairly obvious to anyone looking at the car.

Part of the reason I'm doing user shaken is that I'm sure if I took the car to a dealer, they'd fuss and moan about this crack and make me replace the panel, which, of course, would be costly. But I'm wondering, if I do the user shaken process by checking all the necessary details myself, is this something I really need to worry about fixing? Would the car pass the tunnel test with this kind of damage? (I ask mainly because point 60 on the checklist is for loose items and damage to the frame/body. Obviously the condition isn't "excellent," but in my inexpert opinion it also doesn't *need* to be replaced to be safe and functional.)

Any thoughts, advice, and references would be much appreciated! Thanks!
by rin (guest)  

Re: Car body damage and user shaken process 2016/3/31 11:29
User shaken(ユーザー車検) check line work like this.
https://youtu.be/dEH655u_Ue4
But already vehicle registration changed(名義変更 meigi henkou) to yours?
Also went to Police station for parking space certificate(車庫証明 shako syoumei) paper work before?
If NOT you cann't drive any public road
also until land transportation Office(陸運局 rikuunn kyoku) above check line's place is so.
If drive and cought by police(not arrest) will be "no vehicle inspection drive(無車検運行)" penalty
6 month max in prison or pay max 300000-Yen as fine. (seems fine but from 200000Y)

So this is the most important first step shaken and need repair or not is second.
All process cleared?

But I don't know about "Y-number car(for USFJ)" regist change law well.
http://www.yamaun-inc.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/a45cbf480bf2e8...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Forces_Japan
by NCS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Car body damage and user shaken process 2016/3/31 11:31
If the large crack offenses transport safety regulation, the user shaken will not be passed.
You must firstly ask at the garage whether the crack offenses the regulation.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread