Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Registering Bicycle on Tourist Visa? 2016/4/1 09:14
Hello all, I'm not sure if this has been asked before but I've spent quite a while on google and still haven't gotten an answer.

Like the title states, is it possible to register a bicycle (i've bought it online from amazon) while on the 90 day tourist visa in Japan?

I understand you need an ID, recipe of purchase and the actual bike to register. In my case, the only ID I have is my passport. I do have an address that i will be staying during the course of the 85 days here.

Just don't want to risk being stopped by the police, thanks!
by ivan01147  

Re: Registering Bicycle on Tourist Visa? 2016/4/1 15:28
You should be ok without registering the bike. In fact as you are not a permanent resident you might find it difficult to do so. I would take photo's of it (frame number) & keep a copy of the receipt from Amazon in my wallet just in case.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Registering Bicycle on Tourist Visa? 2016/4/1 17:23
Well, although there is no penalty, you do commonly get stopped by the police and will be asked enough questions to bother your time if you don't have that obvious registeration sticker on your bike. And you won't be able to do anything if your bike gets stolen, which is common too. But I suppose your receipt would help. Just make sure it's not a used bike that's still registered to the original owner, because then that would be considered as theft.
http://www.tokyobybike.com/2013/11/how-to-register-your-bicycle-in-jap...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Registering Bicycle on Tourist Visa? 2016/4/1 17:40
You have road user registration on a bicycle in Japan?
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Registering Bicycle on Tourist Visa? 2016/4/1 18:24
From a cursory look at the relevant legislation, it seems it does not mention non-residents of Japan at all,or even what kinds of ID are acceptable. So, of course, the various agencies in charge of enforcing it do not do it either, and ultimately it probably boils down to the discretion of whomever you are dealing with.

My guess is that if you show you are a temporary visitor, police will not bother you if your bike is not registered to you, but do indeed make sure it is not actually registered to someone else.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Registering Bicycle on Tourist Visa? 2016/4/1 20:22
Thanks for the helpful information guys!

I got it registered today (at yoyogi recycle center in case anyone is wondering) and they only took a look at my receipt and didn't even need to show my passport or any type of ID. I guess it really depends on the shop and clerk. Had to fill out some forms and pay the 500 yen and that was it.

HOWEVER......one problem is solved another one arises lol....
I got it successfully registered but then found out that the back wheel inner tubing is punctured somehow and thus have to send the whole thing back to amazon for a refund

So now my question is does the fact that it's been registered to my name pose a problem for me if i have to send it back to the seller?

Sorry for the long post, would be great if anybody could give me some insight, Thanks!
by ivan01147 rate this post as useful

Re: Registering Bicycle on Tourist Visa? 2016/4/1 20:30
Thanks @Uco The forums I frequent have always said that as a visitor it is difficult to do this. This may be as the people there are normally bringing in high end bikes from abroad with them, better safe than sorry.

@ivan01147 As you have got it registered I would just get the tube replaced at a local store rather than going through the palaver of sending it back
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Registering Bicycle on Tourist Visa? 2016/4/2 01:20
I got it successfully registered but then found out that the back wheel inner tubing is punctured somehow and thus have to send the whole thing back to amazon for a refund

You're returning the entire bike because the inner tube has a hole in it?

Why not just buy a patch kit and fix it? Or buy a new inner tube?
by [] (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Registering Bicycle on Tourist Visa? 2016/4/2 12:44
I just want to clarify that I wasn't saying that you can register on a tourist visa. I was just saying that you will indeed be stopped by the police, which seemed to be the OP's concern, if you don't have the bike registered.

About returing the bike, I agree to the others that it's easier to fix it. You should thoroughly check the documents that came with the bike, or ask amazon, to see if there is any guarantee to have your new bike fixed for free.

And if you do decide to return your bike anyway, you should ask amazon about the registeration. Basically, used bikes require proof that the original owner has surrendered the ownership. Amazon may have some kind of a format for that.

On a related note, if you are going to surrender your ownership when leaving Japan in the future, be sure you do it properly. You can't just leave it somewhere to have a stranger take it away to reuse it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread