Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nakasendo 2016/4/3 16:09
For English translation of Nakasendo, which one is appropriate?

Nakasendo road
Nakasendo highway
Nakasendo way

If you know the better translation for Nakasendo(中山道) let me know. I appriciate if you tell the differences between road, path and way.
by Spring27 (guest)  

Re: Nakasendo 2016/4/3 19:42
There doesn't seem to be a fixed term for Nakasendo. Some use "way," others use "road," and others use "route."

As it was built mostly for foot travel in the old times, I would not use "highway."

"Path" doesn't sound solid enough somehow (it sounds like just a thin arrow pointing the direction or something), and "way" sounds somewhat abstract. I might opt for "route," but this is my personal opinion.

But actually unless you have to explain what it is, as "-do" part in Japanese already carries the meaning of "route/way/road," you don't have to add it to the name. And if you are going to explain it anyway, you might just write:
"Nakasendo, the old route that goes from..." so that people know it is a route/road.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nakasendo 2016/4/3 23:23
Thank you for useful reply. Yes, Nakasendo already has do=road, but as far as I know, it is translated as "Nakasendo road" "Nakasendo highway" Nakasendo route" etc etc.

I sometime guide foreign tourists to kiso valley, so it is good to know how to explain Nakasendo! :D Thank you very much for your advice.

by flower27 rate this post as useful

Re: Nakasendo 2016/4/4 09:32
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6078.html

See how the Admin. of this website describes it :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread