Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much Japanese should I know before? 2016/4/6 12:01
So I am planning on going to a Japan Language School in January 2017 and I am going throw a company that will help me with the paper work, etc.

I was told I should know some Japanese before I go because the Japanese embassy will talk to me before hand and see if I should have a Visa. I am currently studying off sites but I find it kinda difficult to learn from words on a site then in person getting taught it.

by Melging  

Re: How much Japanese should I know before? 2016/4/6 18:37
There is no Japanese proficiency requirement to get a student visa, what the embassy wants to see is that you are admitted at the school and have the means to support yourself.

The school should be able to help you with everything; I would think twice before paying a third-party company to do it.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How much Japanese should I know before? 2016/4/6 20:40
The student visa process is I believe relatively simple. I agree with the above that everything can be handled by the embassy, the school, and yourself, no need for anyone else to get involved, but it's worth repeating because it sounds like this company has fed you some bad information. The people at the embassy will speak to you in English (or French if you're in France, Russian if you're in Russia, etc.), they don't care about your language abilities, you can get several different types of visa without being able to speak a lick of Japanese.

That being said, you've got nine months, it's more than enough time to learn the basics several times over. Just stuff to ensure that your life in Japan is not made needlessly difficult. Things to say when you are shopping, asking for directions, finding out about a train time, nothing difficult.
by ///// (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much Japanese should I know before? 2016/4/7 12:55
Knowing Japanese is not a pre-requisite. However, if one only has a high school degree, this is something that the Japanese immigration will scrutinize.

Then again, a visa application is about multiple criteria. As another poster said, financial means is very important. But so is your background, and so can be your Japanese skills. What I am trying to say is that there is no black or white answers. Going through an application is about "the whole picture" and can be somewhat of a judgement call - kind of, because of course there are rules.

Follow what your agent is telling you and you will be fine. And, by the way, no agent should charge you any money as someone mentioned. Their services should be free - they get their commissions from the schools. You are right to ask them because they bring you peace of mind. But again, it should be FREE.

If you need another agent that is not charging you money, contact Motivist: http://motivistjapan.com/

頑張ってください
by Motivist rate this post as useful

Re: How much Japanese should I know before? 2016/4/7 13:14
Because I've been told that the embassy will want to test my skill, I was even asked if I mastered Katakana and hiragana yet and that it wasn't too hard to master.

I don't think the person i talked to gave be bad information because he gave me a lot of good info but I was starting to stress that I won't be able to speak in tons of sentences by the time I spoke to the embassy.

I still will learn the basics because I rather go to Japan not being completely lost haha .

by Melging rate this post as useful

Re: How much Japanese should I know before? 2016/4/7 13:17
Oh I'm not getting charged, It just makes sense because If I was supposed to fully learn Katakana and Hiragana fast then I doubt there is any reason for me to go to a JLS.
by Melging rate this post as useful

Re: How much Japanese should I know before? 2016/4/7 13:32
I have never, ever heard, from any trustworthy source, of any test, of Japanese language or otherwise, when applying for a student visa. Such matters are the responsibility of the schools, which set their own admission criteria.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How much Japanese should I know before? 2016/4/10 14:14
You don't have to know any Japanese before. (I had by myself studied Japanese sime time ago)
I've applied to my language school when I was in Japan and they helped me with all the papers for having the student visa.

The Japanese's government will want to know if you can support yourself during the time in Japan (if you got a caution person, it's more than good. I paid everything by myself, but the school asked me to choose someone "just in case")

Another thing you'll have to do, it's a short letter of your purposes about studying in Japan.

But I've never been asked anything about my Japanese's level (there were people who known barely nothing in Japanese in my class)

But as everything has been done in Japan (in August for next October) I didn't go to the Embassy (which are 4h far from my hometown) so maybe it's different this time...
by Lydioune rate this post as useful

Re: How much Japanese should I know before? 2016/4/14 11:27
That's right, Lydioune: one does not need to know any Japanese before enrolling in a Japanese language school. It is not a mandatory thing. There is no rule stating that students should first know Japanese. BUT, getting a visa is about "the whole picture". And there might be a part of subjectivity to it, somehow.

What we are trying to say here is that in some cases, language skills are something that will be looked at. It is actually particularly true for people who only have a high school degree. Depending on other criteria too, language skills might become relevant. Showing at least basic skills is an easy way to show one's interest for the country. And it only makes sense that Japan want to have people who come here for the right reasons.

One more thing to take into account. As language schools get more and more demand, they may actually become more demanding, in some cases.

So, at any rate, knowing at least a bit of Japanese can only help, if only for the daily life once in Japan when students arrive! :-)
by Motivist rate this post as useful

reply to this thread