Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need internet, SoftBank is mean 2016/4/9 20:23
I am in my cancellation period, and ready to quit SoftBank for treating me like crap just because I am a foreigner even though I have been a loyal customer for over 3 years. I am trying to get SoftBank Hikari and they are demanding I use a CC to pay for it. I have (I assume) good credit in Japan as I pay all my bills on time and only missed one for lack of funds in my accounts which I paid the next day in person (in regards to SoftBank).

I do not have, nor do I ever want a CC. So, the real question is, is there an alternative? I live outside of Sendai and am a heavy internet user. I am also looking into changing mobile provider if possible. Recs would be appreciated.

Calling/texting, only the most basic is required. My biggest need is a data plan.
by Hiyoko (guest)  

Re: Need internet, SoftBank is mean 2016/4/10 09:44
I was under the impression that virtually all service companies in Japan accept payment by bank transfer. Is Softbank not one of them?
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Need internet, SoftBank is mean 2016/4/10 17:33
"only missed one for lack of funds in my accounts"
http://www.creditcard-staff.com/impossible/mobile.htm
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need internet, SoftBank is mean 2016/4/10 17:40
Sorry, I can't read kanji. It was my direct deposit bank account. I had no money because I bought a smartphone and the made me buy it all at once and refused to give me the 'sabisu' freebies they give every one else for getting the phone because I didn't have a multi year visa. Hence why I am mad at them. I am still here and ready for a new provider!
by Hiyoko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need internet, SoftBank is mean 2016/4/10 18:38
how did you get the first phone ? by 24 months payment ?
if so, and softbank refuses a next new contract of 24 months payment, you are on their blacklist.
once you fail to pay the fee, you may be listed on their blacklist.
it is difficult to know that you are listed only on Softbank list or on their exchanging list.
if you are on their exchanging blacklist, you may be difficult to get a new phone by a new 24 months contract at other companies.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need internet, SoftBank is mean 2016/4/10 18:42
Nope, I bought it upfront, I don't like loans. It was a cheap flip phone.
by Hiyoko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need internet, SoftBank is mean 2016/4/18 09:30
So, the real question is, is there an alternative? I live outside of Sendai and am a heavy internet user. I am also looking into changing mobile provider if possible. Recs would be appreciated.

Calling/texting, only the most basic is required. My biggest need is a data plan.

Are you looking for bundled service or separate landline and mobile? I'd recommend looking at docomo/ntt plans or au/kddi as it sounds as if you're blacklisted at softbank. They should both offer payment by bank account.

I had no money because I bought a smartphone and the made me buy it all at once and refused to give me the 'sabisu' freebies they give every one else for getting the phone because I didn't have a multi year visa. Hence why I am mad at them. I am still here and ready for a new provider!

This is standard practice btw. Without a multiyear visa, there is no guarantee that you stay in Japan long enough to complete a multiyear contract. With out the contract locking you in there are no freebies. This is the same in other countries as well.

I have (I assume) good credit in Japan as I pay all my bills on time and only missed one for lack of funds in my accounts which I paid the next day in person (in regards to SoftBank).

Keep in mind, without a Japanese credit card you basically have zero credit. You could have been building internal credit with Softbank, but missing a payment likely dropped you back to zero or lower.

I do not have, nor do I ever want a CC.

I'm not advocating that you get a credit card, but keep in mind they are basically a tool. And they can be quite valuable if used responsibly. More importantly, without one certain transactions can be more difficult and possibly more expensive to carry out.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread