Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which foods should be eaten using chopsticks? 2016/4/17 21:15
こんにちは〜
Hi, everyone.

Okay so, long story short, I am very interested and eager to learn all I can about Japanese culture and the language. Among other things, I've recently purchased a personal set of chopsticks to begin practicing using. However, I've received a lot of mixed signals about what should and what shouldn't be eaten using the chopsticks. Some say sushi is okay, some say it's better to eat with your hands. Some say rice is okay too, but others say it's considered low-class.

It's difficult to know who to listen to since I don't actually live in an area with any natives who can point me in the right direction.
Can anyone help me out with a basic list? I don't want to pick up bad habits that are considered rude or non-sensible before I've even begun! I want to do my best and do it the best way possible.

Thank you so much in advance!
by Sam (guest)  

Re: Which foods should be eaten using chopsticks? 2016/4/18 11:41
All of them.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which foods should be eaten using chopsticks? 2016/4/18 13:35
Yes, sushi is finger food. Sashimi isnt!

I've never seen anyone not using chopsticks for rice although Koreans use a spoon, and for things like curry rice you would usually use a spoon.

The big things as I understand them are really to hold your bowl in your left hand while using the chopsticks in your right, dont play with chopsticks, dont use eating chopsticks to serve food (and if you do, turn them around so you are using the other end), and dont stick the chopsticks out of your food when you are finished which I think is bad news because it is similar to incense for the deceased.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which foods should be eaten using chopsticks? 2016/4/18 15:36
Almost all food in Japan can be eaten with chopsticks, however there are some types of food where western utensils or something else (such as a toothpick) are preferred. In any case, the proper type of utensils will be provided with the dish or at the table.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Which foods should be eaten using chopsticks? 2016/4/18 21:25
You can eat with chopsticks all what you can hold and cut off with chopsticks. Otherwise, you will be provided with a spoon or knife and fork.

Some say rice is okay too, but others say it's considered low-class.
Every country has its customs. Japanese traditional cuisine is made so that you can cut off and hold food with chopsticks. In Japanese custom, rice served in a rice bowl is to be eaten with chopsticks in one hand, holding the rice bowl with two or three fingers of another hand. If you eat rice directly from the rice bowl left on the table and bending down over it, you will be considered, in Japan, rude and badly brought-up. We call this way of eating dog’s way. To our surprise, this is just Korean way of eating, with a spoon instead of chopsticks. They consider, on the contrary, the Japanese way of eating rice in a rice bowl, holding it with fingers, as beggar’s way.

As for sushi, you can eat sushi (nigiri) either with chopsticks or with fingers. Many people eat sushi with chopsticks today. I myself eat with chopsticks, because wiping often my fingers on a wet towel is tiresome.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

OP here! 2016/4/18 22:00
Ahhh, thank you so much, everyone! ありがとうございます!

Your answers were very helpful and I feel a little more secure in exploring the different dishes of Japan.

Thank you for taking the time to answer ^_^
by Sam (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread