Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do I need an up/down Voltage transformer? 2016/4/18 13:16
Yesterday I received a Tiger Stainless Steel Vacuum Electric Water Dispenser from my daughter from Japan. All in Japanese language, which I don't understand. But, I know it is 100 V ... something 700W ... something 50-60HZ ... temperature 157degrees.
I live in Toronto Canada which voltage is 120V. Do I need a Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer Converts Japan 100V to 110V ?
What might happens if I use boiler without transformer?
Thanks you in advance for advises.
by Theresa (guest)  

Re: Do I need an up/down Voltage transformer? 2016/4/18 14:18
You would need a step down transformer to convert your Canadian voltage of 120V down to 100V as it goes into the Japanese appliance which is designed for 100V.

With any heating appliance, I strongly recommend using the corrected voltage (meaning using a step-down transformer to feed 100V, in your case) due to risk of overheating/fire. Please get the right transformer which is big enough to accommodate 700W.
by ...... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need an up/down Voltage transformer? 2016/4/19 02:52
Thank-you very much .... (by guest).
So I need to get a transformer that can step down from 120V to 100V in order to work safe in Toronto Canada, right?
I appreciated your advise which helps me a lot.
by Theresa T (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need an up/down Voltage transformer? 2016/4/19 08:47
That would be the most prudent and would maximize safety as well as the longevity of your water heater. 120 to 100 Volt stepdown converters are small and inexpensive. Just make sure to get one rated higher than your device's power draw, so something rated to around 1000 Watts.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need an up/down Voltage transformer? 2016/4/19 09:01
Thanks to yllwsmrf and .... (guest).
I'll go do what you guys suggested.
Regards.
by Theresa T (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread