Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

going to japan for highschool from singapore 2016/4/25 22:32
I am currently 14,secondary 2, studying in singapore. i want to head over to japan for highschool (aka our JC) but i heard that its practically impossible if you're not a citizen of japan. Ive tried looking for exchange programs but they dont seem to be very popular here in Singapore.
Do any of you guys have a suggestion on how i can still go over to japan for highschool?
another option i could take as a backup is university. If i manage to get a scholarship to a japanese university from singapore after NS, ill be around 20. if i dont get a scholarship, do i have to complete my university here in Singapore and then head over to take a degree there and start from there?
ill obviously prefer to go for highschool there but if there really isnt any way i could head over then ill just use the backup plan.
Thank you in advance ^_^
by OtakuNotWeeaboo (guest)  

Re: going to japan for highschool from singapore 2016/4/26 09:05
i want to head over to japan for highschool (aka our JC) but i heard that its practically impossible if you're not a citizen of japan. Ive tried looking for exchange programs but they dont seem to be very popular here in Singapore.

Its not difficult to go the HS in Japan as an exchange student. Look for programs based in Japan, there are several international high schools here that run their own.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: going to japan for highschool from singapore 2016/4/26 11:05
Hi ^_^ thanks for your response. I've searched many exchange programs to Japan but none of them are applicable to Singapore. Most of them are in USA and Canada. So I don't think that an exchange program from Singapore would be viable?
Unless you know of an exchange program to Japan from Singapore then please do let me know thanks ^^
by OtakuNotWeeaboo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: going to japan for highschool from singapore 2016/4/26 11:07
Also I don't want to go to an international high school. I would like to go to a local Japanese highschool if possible.

Re: going to japan for highschool from singapore 2016/4/28 02:23
Sit for JLPT N1 (Highest Proficient) or N2. Otherwise, forget about studying there in a local school. As an international student, you're required to meet a certain standard. Highly possible that the government allows international students in international schools only. Finish your NS and get a job or get your parents to spoon feed your university fees to Japan. Alternatively, get into local university and apply for exchange programs although most are usually US, UK or Europe.

Just speaking the cold hard truth as a fellow countryman of SG. I gave up such goal because I can pursue further in an English country like Australia, UK and US then polish my N2 Japanese language along the way. I'm happy that I'm not living and working in Japan due to the stress level and suicidal rate because my heart can't handle situations like this.
by lynnkaylen rate this post as useful

Re: going to japan for highschool from singapore 2016/4/28 09:37
Thanks for your reply but I still have a few more questions
If I take JPT N1 or N2, do I have a chance of getting into a local high school?
Also is it possible to get a scholarship to study in Japan after o lvls?

Re: going to japan for highschool from singapore 2016/4/28 16:53
Your chances are very slim and may not be possible. Finish JC/Poly and enroll into their universities. It's required at least 12 years of education and this is pretty much standardized for most education institutions around the world. If you're really persistent on experiencing a high school life, my only recommendation for you is an overseas exchange program which may not be possible for JC students.

Also, do check with your parents if they're willing to sponsor you otherwise, I would strongly recommend you to sit in your comfort zone now while you can. No scholarship, your parents will have to pay your tuition fees or you get a job and pay it off yourself. Life isn't as sweet as you think while you're paying it by yourself. I'm on a lifelong debt to my mom for paying my uni fees since 3 years ago and I'm slaving off to repay back.

Do ask yourself if further education is necessary despite the salary carrot. You're only 14 and I'm almost a decade older than you. Enjoy life and don't worry about the future until it's time.

Do read up on the following link below:
http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/faq/faq01e.html#q01
by lynnkaylen rate this post as useful

Re: going to japan for highschool from singapore 2016/4/28 18:43
ohh i see. i know the amount of money required to go overseas hence im willing to either work hard for a scholarship or work when i can to save enough money. i dont intend to use any of my parent's money. Ill try and visit http://www.sg.emb-japan.go.jp/about_opening.htm for consultations on this topic. Thanks anyway ^^

reply to this thread