Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changing jobs teaching to something different 2016/4/29 12:58
Hello. I'm currently an English teacher but I'm looking to change jobs. The job I want to change to is completely different from what I'm doing now. There are some questions that I have.

1. I know that I will have to report this change of status to the immigration office. My question is, is this before or after quitting my current job?
2. Will I need a new Certificate of Eligibility?
3. Are there other things that I have to do before switching jobs?

Thank you for all the help you can offer!
by Aisling (guest)  

Re: Changing jobs teaching to something different 2016/4/29 15:50
If your job falls in another category, you need to change your status of residence (visa category). Failure to do so would be the same as working without a visa.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Changing jobs teaching to something different 2016/4/29 17:41
You can't change your visa based on what you want to do, only for the job you have. So the time to change would be after you have a contact from your new place of employment, then you can go in and request the change.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing jobs teaching to something different 2016/4/30 10:56
Thank you! So you guys mean I can start my new job without a new visa and report the change within 14 days?

The thing is, I think I will be working "illegally" if I did that because my current visa doesn't allow me to do the next job.
by randomfaerie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing jobs teaching to something different 2016/4/30 11:23
You must apply for a change of status and wait for it to be granted before you start working at your new job.

If you work before the change is granted, you work illegally, without quotes.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Changing jobs teaching to something different 2016/4/30 14:15
After you get your contract, but before you start the job, you apply for the visa change. You do not need a new CoE.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Changing jobs teaching to something different 2016/5/1 13:41
Thank you for the info!

That means I will need to be jobless until I get my new visa, is that correct?
by Aisling (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing jobs teaching to something different 2016/5/1 15:26
Sort of. You can also continue your old job.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Changing jobs teaching to something different 2016/5/1 18:12
You should be "between jobs" since you quit one and are just waiting to begin at your new job. That is just semantics though.
by vk (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread