Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Payment and apartments provided by eikaiwas 2016/5/7 02:39
I'm going to work at a eikaiwa but i have some insecurities about it.I want to work in a bigger city and i read a few articles saying that the bigger the city is,the bigger your payment is,and since i want a bigger apartament i hope the payment can cover my rent and my bills but obviously,there should remain money for food,clothing and so on.I've watched a lot of videos and most of the people working for Aeon were given small apartments with no room for extra clothes and no kitchen so i was wondering if there is some way to ask them for a bigger kitchen and things like that (obviously for a bigger rent).Can somebody explain to me this whole process?
by Someone (guest)  

Re: Payment and apartments provided by eikaiwas 2016/5/7 10:27
I think you will have to ask the company you are applying for what type of accommodation they provide, if any. Some companies already have a set apartment they just rent it out after their employee leaves. Some companies have no apartment and have to search for a place. Some companies provide just the guarantee to the real estate company and some companies provide no support. You have to do your own research into each company's benefit package.
by MikeTI rate this post as useful

Re: Payment and apartments provided by eikaiwas 2016/5/7 12:47
Aeon signs a lease on most, if not all of the apartments that are rented out to NETs and very rarely do they change the apartments. Once an apartment is vacated by a NET the next NET automatically moves in. You will have to live in a smaller city of you want more spacious accommodation. Generally the bigger the city the smaller the apartment is. There are exceptions of course but those are hard to come by. You could contact Aeon and inquire but dont get your hopes up. Although they do their best to place you in your top 3 locations their main priority is to fill job vacancies. Good luck and hope everything works out.
by Scubagirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Payment and apartments provided by eikaiwas 2016/5/7 12:51
By the way, I am speaking strictly of Aeon since you mentioned them. The same info would apply to Amity which is a subsidiary of Aeon. I cannot speak for other eikaiwas. Also, just a note that the starting pay at Aeon/Amity is the same for everyone regardless of where you're placed.
by Scubagirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Payment and apartments provided by eikaiwas 2016/5/7 15:43
If you don't speak Japanese and aren't familiar with the Japanese rental system you're not likely to get a big place in the city. Most companies contract small, semi-furnished, relatively cheap places and as the posters above said, they're passed from teacher to teacher, so they're not going to take out a contract just for you.

You don't actually have to stay in their housing (though they will pressure you to do so they can't legally force you to), and you can find better deals on your own, but unless you can handle apartment negotiations in Japanese (and are lucky enough to find a willing landlord) you're not likely to find deals. Most rental companies dealing with foreigners in English charge far more than what the places are worth imo.

You also might want to rethink your idea of a small apartment-the eikaiwa apartments I've seen are average for Japan.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread