Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Phone vs GPS 2016/5/9 22:49
Hi All,

I'm new to "smart" phones and just wonder if a monthly subscriber rate for using GPS via a smart phone would be more costly than just buying a stand-alone GPS unit.

Thanks...
by Deibu B  

Re: Phone vs GPS 2016/5/10 07:22
GPS typically requires a data connection to fully function, but as long as you have that (as part of your phone service) then there is no extra fees to us GPS with a smartphone.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Phone vs GPS 2016/5/10 16:37
Thanks -

I neglected to mention that the point of GPS for me is mainly getting around on my bike in Tokyo.

Not so much need for a smart phone right now, but definitely the GPS unit. Being passive receiver, I thought maybe using GPS on smart phone would rack up fees for data.
by Deibu B rate this post as useful

Re: Phone vs GPS 2016/5/10 18:21
Most maps applications on smartphones can be used offline nowadays, Google Maps recently introduced it as well. You can use wifi to download the map data.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Phone vs GPS 2016/5/12 09:25
Not so much need for a smart phone right now, but definitely the GPS unit. Being passive receiver, I thought maybe using GPS on smart phone would rack up fees for data.

Using gps typically uses data to download maps. But if you are really mindful of your planning you can pre-download the maps before you go. So if you have a smartphone already, this may be the most economical way to go.

GPS units on the other hand will have better battery life and might be better for use while traveling by bike, but it's another thing to buy and carry, and there may be an issue obtaining good map files themselves. It may have changed since I last looked into it, but in the past the dedicated gps maps of Japan were expensive and pretty low resolution if available at all.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Phone vs GPS 2016/5/12 11:20
The biggest problem with using GPS on smartphones, I find, is the battery drain. If you leave the GPS on it is a significant drain on your battery.

If you're planning to use your phone as a GPS in Japan, rather than worry about data limits and costs, rent a portable wifi unit so that you'll always be connected (wherever service is available, of course) and you won't need to worry about high fees. I get one each time I visit Japan and use it for Google Maps a lot.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread