Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Graduate school (MA in psychology) in Japan? 2016/5/16 08:37
Hi,

I'm currently a second-year student, studying to get my Bachelor's Degree in Psychology. I'm interested in getting a Master's Degree in clinical psychology (and then later on a PhD or PsyD in clinical psychology). I'd like to be a practicing clinical psychologist one day, and would like to work in the US. However, for years I've wanted to study abroad in Japan.
So my question is, if anyone is able to recommend any graduate programs taught in English, OR if you know of any study abroad programs I could look into that'd be super helpful.. Since I'm pretty close to finishing my Bachelor's program, I'd prefer to study abroad while in graduate school working on my Master's if at all possible..

Also, the more I looked into it, the more I thought it may be very unrealistic to study in Japan and then practice in the States.. So do you think it'd be better for me to just do a 1 year study abroad program from an American school? Or to possibly even just go to a language school for a year or less? Or maybe I should just try getting into the JET program, or some similar program, and do that for a year?

My primary motivation for wanting to study in Japan is just me wanting to experience the culture and learn the language. And ideally, I wanted to be able to work on my degree while in Japan (so that I wouldn't feel as if I was wasting time). And just for reference, my level of Japanese is still at a beginner's level, pretty much N5 level.. So studying somewhere that doesn't teach in English is kind of out of the question..

Any advice with this would be helpful-thanks ahead! :D
by mizchelz  

Re: Graduate school (MA in psychology) in Japan? 2016/5/16 22:32
Also, the more I looked into it, the more I thought it may be very unrealistic to study in Japan and then practice in the States..
This is something you should really discuss with your professors, they should know everything there is to know about practising psychology. I don't know about English-taught Psychology programs in Japan, but I do know if they do exist then you will be severely limited by choice, there may only be one or two to choose from. Looking at it like that, the better career move would likely be by studying in the US, a country with countless Psychology programs.

So do you think it'd be better for me to just do a 1 year study abroad program from an American school? Or to possibly even just go to a language school for a year or less? Or maybe I should just try getting into the JET program, or some similar program, and do that for a year?
I'm confused, first you said you wanted to study in Japan, but talk of JET makes it sound like you just want to live there regardless of whether it's as a student or a worker. If that's the case you could go the JET route, or for an even easier route into Japan (no guarantees in JET, it can be competitive) you could just teach English privately.

Personally if I had the money I would finish up my Batchelor's, then go to a language school in Japan to get my skills up to scratch (REALLY up to scratch), then explore the possibility of joining a Japanese-taught Master's program. Again, don't know if this is the best career move, but for someone looking to get the experience of living in Japan, development of language skills, and a good MA at the end of it, it might be the most rewarding option.
by 3333 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread