Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/5/18 18:35
I am in the midst of preparing for a leisure trip to Japan after a lapse of two decades. I noticed that the following question is on Japan's Disembarkation Card for Foreign Nationals: Any history of being convicted of a crime (not only in Japan)?

I was involved in a road accident more than two decades ago when starting to work legally in Japan and was fined 100,000 yen at a local prosecutor's office in some summary procedure (never went to court) for my 75% share of the responsibility. My questions are: Did that offense count as a "crime" in Japan? Should I answer "yes" or "no" to the above question? Will the record prevent me from entering Japan this time?

FYI: For the few years following the accident I had no problem renewing my Alien Registration Card and exited and re-entered Japan a couple of times on re-entry visas.
by Ryokokyaku (guest)  

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/5/19 12:08
You were in a traffic accident, not convicted of a crime, so no.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/5/19 14:38
Yes, your road accident and fined payment of 100,000 Yen is recorded as "Criminal" in JP, so you must tick on "YES" as you visit JP.
The fine of 100,000 Yen is still large sum at the moment even now. The legal process at the prosecutor's office(fine upto 1,000,000 Yen) is called simple trial judgement, before going to formal trial judgement held at courts.
Some people say, hey I paid the fine so I have no criminal record left but it's clearly recorded until your death.
You have paid your fine of 100,000 Yen already so your criminal record and history are left(forever) but you can re-enter JP and can be issued re-entry visas because you have already paid. If you didn't pay the fine, the process go onto formal trial judgement and could be called from the court.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/5/19 16:19
My understanding is that you don't have a criminal record. I vaguely remember asking a similar question to the police or a judge a long time ago, and the following link also pretty much backs it up. But of course, the safest way is to double-check at your local Japanese Embassy or the koban, rather than to rely on anonymous internet users like us.

http://koutsu-bengo.com/kotsuzenka_kaihi/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/5/19 18:16
Many thanks to Uco, tokyo friends 48, and scarreddragon for your valuable advice and opinions. I am weighing them and may go to the local Japanese embassy for official advice.
by Ryokokyaku (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/5/28 17:15
Just to provide an update for the reference of others in the same situation.

I wrote to and called the local Japanese embassy and got the following answers to my questions:

1. The old offense did not constitute a crime and there is no criminal record.

2. I may answer "no" to the relevant question on the disembarkation card.
by Ryokokyaku (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/5/28 22:19
Great to know, and thanks for the feedback! Drive safely wherever you go!

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/6/3 02:44
As a result of this thread, I have decided not to drive during my trip to Kyushu in July. I have already obtained my International Driver's Permit, but the risk outweighs any gain. I will just use the trains to get around.
by MoominPapa rate this post as useful

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/6/3 11:04
Your criminal history(caused by traffice offense) is ketp in the Japanese Police Department Agency forever but your criminal record is removed and deleted five years later if you didn't offense any legal consequences in Japan.
So you can drive legally in JP but for your safety I think it's better to use trains and buses if you are not sophisticated on JP road which I often advise international visitors.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/6/16 19:13
I am in the midst of preparing for a leisure trip to Japan after
a lapse of two decades.

=I see.

I noticed that the following question is on Japan's
Disembarkation Card for Foreign Nationals:

Any history of being convicted of a crime (not only in Japan)?

=OK, let's see.

I was involved in a road accident more than two decades ago when starting to work legally in Japan and was fined 100,000 yen at a local prosecutor's office in some summary procedure (never went to court) for my 75% share of the responsibility.

=I see.

= I just checked with Japanese web pages concerned.

=Your file was treated by an Elementary court (Kani saibansho)

= N.B. to be pronouced KAN-I, and I for India:

= and with your accord, the procedure called Ryakushiki

=Meirei ( simplified legal procedure) was taken place.

=Thus, you were sentenced of 100.000 as the sentence.

= N.B. Maximum is limited to 500,000

=Consequently, you have a criminal record in Japan.

= So, what is the way for you to get the Visa?

= I think you can send a letter of appeal ( Tangansho)

to the Minister of Legal Ministry ( Homu-sho ),

= N.B to be pronounced Homu as home in English

= in appealing that,

= It was merely a trafic accident and no serious crime

= You have no criminal history in U.S..

=You have a stable profession

= You have a solid family

=You contribute to the local community as voluntier

=You have references from your Boss and friends

=You will keep behave yourself during the trip in Japan.

Bon voyage, I hope!

by Hachatorian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/6/17 02:11
Hachatorian,

The OP answered his own question on his post dated May 28. He should have no problem coming to Japan.

Re: Will old traffic offense prevent entry? 2016/6/17 06:39
I think Tokyo friend 48 and Hachatorian are correct.
but, as Tokyo friend 48 said, the record is not counted as a reason for refuse, because it is more than 5 years old record.
I think that OP's declaration of no criminal record is a little bit dishonest.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread