Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/5/22 14:52
We will be on the Diamond Princess, docking in Tokushima (I think in Tokushima-Komatsushima Port) on August 13 for the Awa Odori Dance Festival. Is there any transportation available (bus, train, taxi) that we can use to get to Tokushima City in the morning and back to the ship at night?
by Marilynn  

Re: How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/5/22 15:33
Taxis
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/5/22 16:15
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have any idea what the cost would be each way? And with so many people at the festival, will it be difficult finding a taxi at about 10:00 at night to get back to the port?
by Marilynn rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/5/22 23:50
The regular ferries to Tokushima from Honshu dock in the Tokushima port on the east side of the city. You can recognize the place because of the piles of lumber stacked on the docks. You are pretty much in the city but you want to get to the west side below the Mt. Bizan Ropeway (cable car) for the festival. A taxi or a bus would be your options. If, however, your cruise line ship pulls into the port at Komatsushima, this is the next city south. A taxi or bus to Mt. Bizan would be about the same distance, but this port is close to the Minami-Komatsushima train station where you could take a train to the Tokushima train station which is close to the Awa Odori area at the foot of Mt. Bizan. Check on board. They know where they dock and should have maps and directions.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/5/24 17:54
Not sure why my taxi cost repeated itself. Looks like our best bet will be a taxi from the port to the train station. I'll check Hyperdia.com for times and fares. Thanks so much.
by Marilynn rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/6/14 15:57
The nearest train station from the port is Minami-Komatsushima. It is about 10-20mins walk from the port to the station. You can get on a train from the station to Tokushima station. You can check train schedules on Hyperdia.com Train runs every one hour or so. Awa Dance festival will be held from Aug. 12th to 15th. Trains will be packed on your way to get back to Minami-Komatsushima station, so I recommend you to buy your return ticket at Tokushima station when you get to there from Minami-Komatsushima.

I have this feeling that a travel agency will organize a day trip to see the festival. You might want to ask if there is any optional tour.
by sudachichan rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/6/14 16:24
Thanks for your tip about buying the return ticket as soon as we arrive at Tokushima station.

One of the passengers on our ship informed me that he was told we will dock at Akaishi Wharf. If this is correct, what will be the best way to get into town for sightseeing and the festival?
by Marilynn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/6/14 16:48
If you google the wharfs name. The very first option has the wharf details with mention of the festival and access details in english.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/6/15 01:17
Then it takes about 40mins to get to Awa-Akaishi station by foot. I imagine it will be too hot to walk... I recommend you to check your travel agency if there is any optional tour to go to Tokushima city for the festival... or maybe they will run buses to get to the station. Once you get to Tokushima station, there is going to be a tourist information desk in front of Tokushima station.
by sudachichan rate this post as useful

Re: How to get from Tokushima port to the city 2016/8/13 08:22
Just an update for those on the Diamond Princess: I'm on the ship here on Aug 13, 2016 (and I've met Marilyn!!)----
The ship is berthed at the Akaishi Wharf. The ship is providing free shuttles to Minami-Komatsushima or to Komatsushima. To get to Tokushima, of course you can taxi. Or save some money with the train for about $6!!! The trains run about once every 50 minutes but more often early in the morning and probably after the festival. Go to hyperedia.com for the schedule.
by Drsheryl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread