Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unlocked/Sim-free Phones in Kyoto 2016/5/25 14:38
I'm arriving in Japan with a student visa and will stay for 2-years. Does anybody know where I can buy a brand new unlocked/sim-free phone in Kyoto? I've read that online is probably the best bet to look for one, and I have tried my best to navigate around kakaku but the brand new models can only seem to be purchased with a plan. I'm planning on buying a new phone then use it with an MVNO (iijmio, specifically) to save on monthly phone costs (I've heard that if you get a 2-year contract with any of the 3 carriers, monthly bill would reach around 10k yen).
by student_blues (guest)  

Re: Unlocked/Sim-free Phones in Kyoto 2016/5/25 15:57
before buying a phone, confirm that iijmio accepts your application.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unlocked/Sim-free Phones in Kyoto 2016/5/25 16:03
iijmio is far from being the best choice of MVNO. http://kakuyasu-sim.jp/speed-test-on-5-11-2016#Ranking
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Unlocked/Sim-free Phones in Kyoto 2016/5/25 16:30
Hi Firas! Thanks for sharing the link. It seems I decided too hastily on iijmio.

Since this is an angle I completely forgot to consider (thanks ken for the reminder!), would anybody know how and where I can apply for a data +Voice sim in Kyoto? I'm guessing BIC camera or Yodobashi. Or, say, for UQ mobile, do I need to look for an au store and apply there?
by student_blues (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unlocked/Sim-free Phones in Kyoto 2016/5/25 16:36
The application procedures depend on the providers, so you should consult their websites. For UQ I applied online, after buying an au-branded phone on Amazon.

Re: Unlocked/Sim-free Phones in Kyoto 2016/5/25 16:58
Thanks, Firas! I've checked UQ mobile's site and tried going through the application process. Would it be possible to apply using a non-Japanese issued CC? I saw this on their site: 海外発行のクレジットカードはご利用いただけない場合があります。I have a locally-issued Citibank card. Any chance that they'd accept this?

Re: Unlocked/Sim-free Phones in Kyoto 2016/5/25 17:00
It works for me. Basically they write this so that if someone tries to use a foreign card and it doesn't work for some weird reason, they can say it's not their problem. Same for foreign phones.

Re: Unlocked/Sim-free Phones in Kyoto 2016/5/25 17:16
Great! Thanks, Firas!

Re: Unlocked/Sim-free Phones in Kyoto 2016/5/25 21:19
UQmobile uses AU network. be careful that all sim-free phones may not work.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread