Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/5/26 11:47
Hi, this question is pretty personal and I appreciate any feedback, positive or negative.

So just to keep things short, I'm 27, male, from the uk, no degree, currently working using skills I learned from my TEFL course as a full time English teacher in Japan living with my Japanese girlfriend.

I am on a working holiday visa from march this year until march 2017. I am enjoying every second and having an amazing time, and this is the problem.

I am slightly depressed and terrified thinking about when my visa finishes and I have to go home, I can't leave my girlfriend and I'm reaching out for help. People have suggested marriage, so my question is, is this even possible on a working holiday visa? Will they turn me down because I'm leaving next year or is my intent to stay (and a job) enough? I am obviously aware i need to get married in order to obtain this visa.

I dont think a working visa is possible because i don't have a degree, and bringing my partner to the UK would take a while as i would need to find a job earning over 18.6k a year and get enough pay slips for 6 months before even applying (stupid I know but thats another story)

Can anyone lend me a shoulder to cry or at least give me some useful information that might benefit me?

Also if it is relevant I do speak Japanese.

Thanks,

Leon
by dcd  

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/5/26 11:57
Anybody can get married in Japan, even tourists. Then if your marriage is legitimate and since you are from a "low risk" country, a change of status to "Spouse or Child of Japanese national" has a good chance of being approved.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/5/26 17:17
which other countries are considered "low risk", if I may ask?
by 8BB76E1 rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/5/26 17:40
IF you are working full time as an english teacher. Shouldn't your employer be able to provide a COE so you can get a visa to stay longer?
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/5/26 18:44
hakata14,
OP is on a working holiday visa, so the employer (even if it is for a full-time job) doesn't have to sponsor him at all. And as he lacks the requirement for a work visa (either 3-year English teaching experience or a bachelor's degree), when his WHV expires, the employer would not be able to provide a COE for a work visa.

dcd,
If you get married to your Japanese girlfriend, and as long as it is a genuine marriage, you should have no problem getting the "Spouse or Child of Japanese national" status.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/5/27 23:35
I got married on a tourist visa... and got my spouse 1 month later. As long as marriage is genuine you shouldn't have any problem. I must say tough our relationship was ongoing for 7+ years and we have a kid... i guess that help a lot. But we never lived in Japan before, we were in UK as well. So yeah to answer your question you can get married on any visa.
by ACF82 rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/5/28 09:11
I had the exact same problem as you. Lived in Japan for a while with my gf at that time (now wife). Before I got kicked out we moved to my home country and there the whole stress started.
I can't give you advise just wishing you guys luck and it is hard but possible :)
by bart mol rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/1 10:26
hi guys sorry its late but thank you for all the replies its much appreciated
by dcd rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/1 22:35
Please think long and hard about marrying in Japan. It's technically irreversible.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/2 03:29
I agree w/the previous poster. Please think long & hard about marriage. As it's not fair on you OR your gf otherwise.

Had you previously thought that this girl is "the One?" If the only reason you're even considering marrying her is to stay in Japan, that is soo not fair. How do you think she'd feel if the truth came out? I would personally be devastated. Not to mention if you got married and the rose colored glasses come off or you find someone else...you'd then be setting yourself up for a long fall or at least a rough time going through a divorce without any real help or support be it financial or emotional.

I would attempt to pursue staying in Japan based on your OWN merits first rather than by default (marriage).
by artemis9995 rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/2 08:36
Marriage is a big step with many rules for foreigners. I would not advise it to anyone unless they are serious about their partner.

Working holiday visa is for a year, you should use that time to work and gain experience. If you have to return to your country, keep a long distance relationship if you have to.

No offence, "shoulder to cry on," from a 27 year old guy? Really?

by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/2 10:35
Artemis gives exceptional advice.

I would suggest that whatever you decide to do, getting your degree is basically essential. Sure, with a spouse visa you can stay in Japan. As a native English speaker you can get a job teaching English. However, the pay isn't great, and there is no opportunity for advancement, unless you open your own school. Not a path I would choose.

Getting a degree and getting that Japanese up to N2 or N1 level will give you many, many more options.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/2 11:26
Speaking from experience, marriage is a hard slog and juggling between cultures makes it even harder. I would suggest going home and getting your degree while visiting your GF. If the relationship is still strong, then look at your go for it and look at your options.

Previous posters have advised against settling in Japan, but if that's what you both want, nothing is impossible.

Another option would be to find an employer (maybe English teaching again) who will sponsor you, and then pop over to Korea and apply for the work visa.

Good luck.
by Matt1969 rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/2 12:49
I don't have a comment on whether or not marriage is a good fit for your situation. Just want to mention that it is a pretty straightforward process should you decide it is right next step in your relationship.

A few other comments:

Please think long and hard about marrying in Japan. It's technically irreversible.

Not quite sure where this comment was heading, but to clarify, marriage in Japan is very reversible and amicable divorces are in fact quite easy to obtain.

Another option would be to find an employer (maybe English teaching again) who will sponsor you, and then pop over to Korea and apply for the work visa.

I believe that this used to be the case, but obtaining residence doesn't require an overseas trip these days. You can do the whole process in country.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/16 05:30
How did you get a English teaching job without a degree? I want to take TEFL and do the same.

Where did you find the job? Do you experience teaching? How did you make a appropriate resume? Where in Japan are you?
by Can (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/25 23:16
I am sorry to say this but your post sounds like an 8 year old who's just about to be taken home from his mom after a sleepover at a friend's house,begging to stay for a few more hours or another night.
It sounds like you wanna stay in Japan because you are having such a great time.How long do you know your GF?Your visa expires in March,means you arrived in Japan 3 months ago.If you have been together for 3 months or less then it's certain you only wanna stay in Japan because of the great time you are having and not because you can't leave her behind.In Immigration's eyes you are another goon who is taking advantage of marriage because he wants to have a great time.Japan is not all about having a great time,you still got 9 months left,you will realize that soon.You're only at the very beginning.On the other hand you can't even experience the hard reality of Japan on a working holiday.

by I am a Tree (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/26 20:17
you should marry her right away. Some people have never taken a chance in their entire life. Grab that girl and run before its too late. you only live once. do you want to have a fun and amazing life or a dull boring one cus you didnt take any risks?
by jorfriend rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/26 23:08
And I can introduce you to a bunch of divorcees who took jorfriend's advice.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/27 04:47
Sometimes a leap of faith is worth the risk. But in Japan, when divorce happens, the non-Japanese looses almost everything without any legal rights to back them up. LOTS-OF-RISK!!!

Matt1969 advice about getting a work sponsor and flipping trips to Korea should work in your favour. Investigate it more.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can i stay in Japan, I am terrified 2016/6/27 15:26
Come on man, dont worry.
Even the people with overstay or minor criminal background(But crime is crime) are welcome to marry their Japanese girl friend.
When I asked homukyoku they told they forgive the once if somebody is gets married even with overstay or criminal record. I saw many examples around. You are normal person. There is no compulsory need of degree for teaching English in Japan. Also there is no skill required for this marriage visa. Marriage visa is the most easiest visa and for getting eiju visa too than any other category.

-since you are from a "low risk" country, a change
There is no concept of low or high risk country. Japan Immigratin give same treatment to all foreigners who are going to marry Japanese.
by Guest11 (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread