Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Status Change to Work Visa 2016/5/29 13:22
Hello,

I posted a question about 1 month ago but reposting;
somehow it disappeared from my "Bookmark" on this website.
(I don't know what happened to my post; search results didn't show it).

Background
I had 2 interviews w/ a Japanese company. They want me to go to Japan for a final interview. There is no guarantee but high chance I can get the job.

Question
Can I go to Japan on tourist visa, once I get the offer, get the documents from the company and apply for Change of Status to get a work visa?

Other posts on this forum says, "maybe" but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done it.

I worked for a different Japanese company 14 yrs ago, and back then I was recommended by the Japanese consular in Canada to do it that way (go as tourist and change status). They even said that was faster! So I thought that was an acceptable thing.
But now, that same Consular tells me they never heard of such method : )
That you must wait for CoE in Canada, get the visa before entering, ie. the traditional way.

When I got the visa 14 years ago, I don't think I entered Japan w/ a CoE in my hand (my memory fades though).
The only difference between now and back then is, 14 yrs ago,
I had an official offer from the company before I entering Japan.
This time, I have to go there for final interview, so it's not finalized.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
by double13  

Re: Status Change to Work Visa 2016/5/29 14:01
The answer is really "maybe". Many people have done it, but since there are no statistics it is impossible to estimate chances of success.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Status Change to Work Visa 2016/5/29 14:43
It seems the "official" or consulate-recommended path nowadays is to apply for a CoE from outside Japan, get CoE, convert it into a visa, and then enter Japan with it. However, people do come to Japan on Temporary Status Visa, then change to another status. But if you ask me yes or no, all I can say is "maybe."

Also you might want to consider the waiting time if you decide to go for a status change once in Japan. If your potential employer decides to hire you, are they going to give you the papers right away and help you with the status change, which might or might not come in a few weeks, and help you with the living expenses while waiting? I hope you will have all other papers ready that you will have to provide for the application for the change too.

What are your potential employer's expectations for the process?
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Status Change to Work Visa 2016/5/30 07:32
Hi (guest)

Thanks for the info and you point out some good points.

Yes, I was thinking the same about the 1 month waiting period for CoE, and hoping they would let me start work while waiting.

But that is IF they are really "flexible" and willing to be creative.
Knowing Japanese aversion to risk, hmm.

Question,
How long does a Change of Status take?
Anyone who has gotten it under 1 month?

It says 1-3 months below; that means it can be longer than going the traditional route of CoE (1.5-2 months).

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html

Either CoE or Change of Status, this puts me in difficult situation since the company wants someone within a month.

Thanks for reading.

by double13 rate this post as useful

Re: Status Change to Work Visa 2016/5/30 08:16
You cannot start working until you have the resident status changed to one that allows you to work. That would be illegal if you started (or if the employer got you to start) working while it is being processed.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread