Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Timeframe for 2 foreigners marriage in Japan 2016/5/31 23:15
Hello everyone,

Me and my girlfriend (both not japanese) are planning to get married in Japan during our upcoming 2 weeks holiday. To be specific, we are currently in touch with Chuo Ward office in Tokyo. We have prepared all the required documents:
1. Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage
2. Passports
3. Birth Certificates
4. Currently filling marriage registration.

All documents translated and authorized by apostilles.
However I have recently received an update from Chuo that:
' At the point of the notification, we will screen the documents from the two countries that you had prepared; "birth certificate" "Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage" "passport " and the translations and examine whether they are eligible in Japan. The Tokyo Regional Legal Affairs Bureau will refer to those documents and the final decision for accepting your Marriage registration will take time more than a month or so. Also, please note that the Tokyo Regional Legal Affairs may call either of you directly. The call will be in Japanese, so please provide a Japanese interpreter beforehand. '

We will arrive to Tokyo this weekend and it is apperant that checks will not be done by then. However I have never heard that anyone had to be checked by The Tokyo Regional Legal Affairs Bureau. Can anyone share their experiences about how long it took for them to register marriage and / or whether they had similar checks.

I am also thinking of contracting other ward office, because I heard that each office varies in terms how they operate. Cananyone recommend?

Thank you in advance.
by Ciobas (guest)  

Re: Timeframe for 2 foreigners marriage in Japan 2016/6/2 09:36
What nationalities?

I recently got two of my guests married (they were from the US) and it took a little planning but once all the paperwork was in order the actual registration took less than an hour.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Timeframe for 2 foreigners marriage in Japan 2016/6/11 14:51
My husband (US)and I (UK) got married in February. We dropped our documents off at our local city office on a Sunday, and therefore had to come in the next day to finalise it. If we had come in on a working day it would have been processed right there and then. Could this be an issue of how long you have been resident in your city? We had both been resident for several months. Hope it gets sorted soon.
by shinshu snobunny rate this post as useful

Re: Timeframe for 2 foreigners marriage in Japan 2016/6/25 16:05
Hi there,

Can you provide an update on this please, I'm abit confused by your original post, why is the bureau basically assessing your licence?

I'm asking as I'm research my marriage there for next year.

I haven't been in touch with that city office, but the Shibuya one (still waiting to hear back from them) regarding the requirements.

Can I also ask what you did for your ceremony, I'm currently searching for ideas.

Thanks
by Kiwis born in bred (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Timeframe for 2 foreigners marriage in Japan 2016/6/27 09:16
A small piece of extra information (from earlier in the year): when we organised the documentation for our guests we also used the Minato Ward office. Why, because we had someone check that they knew what they were doing - other offices have different staff and skill levels when it comes to registering foreign marriages, and this happens to be the one recommended by our lawyers who phoned them directly to check there would be no problem.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread