Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Confused with tv 2016/6/2 18:12
Hi. I have a led tv but I was told that only tv made and buy from Japan can be used.

Did anyone manage to use your own country tv?

If I buy a new tv here, can I just pluck in antenna (onto the wall) and watch free channels?

Or all tv programs are paid channels?

Can I watch analogue tv program (I assume is free if there is free programs) using a digital model tv?

Thanks.
by chie21jan  

Re: Confused with tv 2016/6/3 15:55
If it is the same when I was a student in 1998, you will probably be able to pick up a perfectly good working Tv in or around apartment blocks, especially student ones, that someone has thrown out. Unless it's been in the rain.

I wouldn't bother taking a Tv to Japan as there is a chance it might not work. Japan uses NTSC system although most new Tvs nowadays handle all systems quite happily.

You should be able to get a pretty cheap one there too. I would definitely say the Japan system now is digital, not analogue.
by Matt1969 rate this post as useful

Re: Confused with tv 2016/6/3 15:56
Also, most Tv channels are free to air, but you are meant to pay a monthly fee for NHK (which a lot of people try avoid paying).
by Matt1969 rate this post as useful

Re: Confused with tv 2016/6/5 16:31
Hi. I have a led tv but I was told that only tv made and buy from Japan can be used.

Yes and no. It depends on the specific model, but you can most likely use your existing tv. However to use it you will likely need to purchase a separate digital tuner to get the Japanese free to air channels. They run a few thousand yen at any electronics store or online.

If I buy a new tv here, can I just pluck in antenna (onto the wall) and watch free channels?

Yes, there are several free to air channels.

Can I watch analogue tv program (I assume is free if there is free programs) using a digital model tv?

Japan went completely digital a few years back.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Confused with tv 2016/6/5 20:03
Thanks for the info :)
With digitalised, can I just buy a tv from an electronic shop, pluck an antenna into my apartment and watch free channels?
Does that mean I should avoid second hand tv made before 2013? If I remember correctly, Japan went digitalised after 2013.
Do I need a tv and a digital tuner? Just a cable will do with the new tv to watch free channels?
by Twocentsonly rate this post as useful

Re: Confused with tv 2016/6/6 08:05
Any new TV purchased in Japan will have the built-in digital tuner for the free over air channels. Only need an antenna cable to connect it to the wall antenna socket.
by kcrackerg rate this post as useful

Re: Confused with tv 2016/6/6 08:55
With digitalised, can I just buy a tv from an electronic shop, pluck an antenna into my apartment and watch free channels?

Yes

Does that mean I should avoid second hand tv made before 2013? If I remember correctly, Japan went digitalised after 2013.

Not necessarily. Most tv's made in the last 15 years or so have the digital tuner built in. The older tv's were dual analog/digital.

Do I need a tv and a digital tuner? Just a cable will do with the new tv to watch free channels?

You only need a digital tuner if your tv doesn't have one built in (or if you are using an overseas tv). Otherwise you can just plug into the wall to get the free to air broadcasts.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Confused with tv 2016/6/7 12:42
Hi. So to speak, bs and cs are paid channels?
How many free channels are there? Is it free for all parts of Japan?
I need a tv to improve my Japanese :)
Thanks.
by chie21jan rate this post as useful

Re: Confused with tv 2016/6/8 08:24
BS and CS are are paid channels that require a different type of antenna that might or might not already be installed your place of living.

Here in Hokkaido I can receive 7 or 8 free over air channels.
by kcrackerg rate this post as useful

reply to this thread