Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/2 21:24
Hello,
I was wondering how do I apply for a Visa? I went to different websites with no luck. Is it possible to apply online? Also I wanted to get the Japan ID card. I found the website once then my computer crashed and I can't find that site to apply for it using my phone at all. I have a service dog and I wanted to know the process in making sure I'm able to bring my Yorkie too. When it comes to the working visa which one do I choose? My highest level of education is a Health Management a Bachelor's of Science Degree. In addition, I'm currently in college working on (MBA) Master's Degree in Health Care Management HHA (online). I have other degrees but these are my highest but I've been in health care as a nurse for over 20 plus years. My daughter is a writer and right now I supervise her. I know this is a lot and any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time. I forgot to mention that I plan on purchasing a home there as well.
Best Wishes,
joat
by joat43  

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/3 09:43
You don't personally apply for a visa and rock up in Japan to look for a job. You need to find the job first, and your company will sponsor you for a working visa and handle all the paperwork. Japan has strict immigration laws and doesn't allow people to just show up and start living there.

Your dog would probably need to go through a quarantine process.

Getting a home loan may be tricky as a foreigner, but I believe there are loan companies that deal with foreigners specifically. Buying isn't really the done thing in Japan, though (at least in the cities); it's not like in other countries where houses continually appreciate in value. In Japan, houses tend to depreciate. You would be better off renting to start, especially since there is no guarantee that you will be staying in Japan (your work visa is not a permanent visa).

I would talk to the Japanese Embassy in your home country. Someone there will be able to talk you through everything. Or, do some more research online - there are heaps of websites that talk about moving to Japan.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/3 12:02
Do you speak the Japanese language? Unless you do, your chances of finding work in Japan will be limited; also please note that being a nurse in Japan requires a national license (some jobs are governed by the local laws, including doctors, nurses, lawyers, civil servants, etc.). English teaching positions are said to be "entry" job into Japan, as you are not required to know the local language here, but I don't know if you are interested in that or not. Also their contracts start with 1 year or 2 years; when you get your work visa sponsored by your employer in Japan, the length of time you are allowed to stay in Japan will be tied to that contract.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/3 13:12
Thank you both for your advice. Right now I'm not working as a nurse but above that, management with my bachelor's degree. Also I own a home here and was told that it would be a new loan that they could transfer once this house is sold. Teaching sounds nice. I will keep looking on the website for information.
Thanks again.
by joat43 rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/3 16:32
I have to wonder what the long term goal is here?

Japan isn't really super immigrant friendly. Unless you are extremely fluent in Japanese, your career and personal options are very limited. You certainly won't be working in healthcare management any time soon. Teaching English is fine, but it's essentially an entry level job with no chance of advancement.

Without Permanent Residence, which will take at least a decade, most banks here will not give you a home loan. You could work with an international bank, but your rates will be higher. Houses here will be probably a couple of hundred thousand dollars. You may have that capital, but most people would need a mortgage.

Certainly, I am not trying to tell you what to do. However, I just simply don't see the end game here. Have you ever lived in Japan before? How do you know you'll like it? How much would it cost you to return to your home country, and set yourself up again, if Japan doesn't work out?
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/3 20:31
Teaching sounds nice.

I'm sure it does but since you wrote that you were in Health Care Management take your current salary and cut it in half to one-quarter of what you currently make. That will be your salary for teaching English in Japan.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/4 13:26
Why do you want to move to Japan?

It is hard to get visa, pay is low, teaching English (unless you love teaching) is not a great job as many people get treated badly and workers put up with it because without the job they have to leave. Expect to get paid minimum wage.

You should be able to read/write/speak Japanese fluently in your chosen job to get something decent.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/4 13:31
A bit more:
Go to the Japan Immigration web site for visas. You should get a Certificate of Eligibility prior to applying for a visa. You will probably be granted a 12 month visa if you qualify, and basically you need a confirmed job before applying for that to prove you can support yourself (having money in the bank doesn't help). You can not turn up and go job hunting on a visitor permit.

Once in Japan you can not do much without a residence card. You can find foreigner friendly rental companies, but a cell phone with voice or a bank account - nope. Once you get the visa you can apply for a bank account (and all the other things you have to do).

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/4 21:40
You can not turn up and go job hunting on a visitor permit.

Yes, you can. It's not complicated for Heaven's sake: the only thing you can't do on Temporary Visitor status is engage in paid work.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/5 10:28
Sorry, my error re job hunting.

Re: Moving to Japan (Lots of questions) 2016/6/7 12:38
Thank you for all the information. This gives me a lot to think about even if I was starting my own business. All comments are appreciated thanks.
by joat43 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread