Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living in Japan with 2000 dollars per month 2016/6/5 23:44
Hello, I am a remote developer and I would like to know if it is possible to live alone in Japan comfortably with 2000 dollars a month?
I would prefer to live in a big city cheaper than Tokyo, most of the Japanese big cities like Sapporo, Kobe, Sendai, Utsunomiya, etc . seems pretty nice, I would also be willing to live near big cities if it is easy to transport into the big cities without car since from what I could read having a car in Japan is pretty expensive.

about me: I like playing sports at my free time, so most of my "free time" expends will be with sports gear and with transportation to play in amateur leagues, I like travelling so I would like to be able to travel around Japan at least one time per month and I would also like to be able to go out to eat at least of time per week specially at family restaurant (not something very fancy).

Sorry for the long post!
by remoYam (guest)  

Re: Living in Japan with 2000 dollars per month 2016/6/6 10:12
You can live anywhere in Japan on 2000 yen per month, but indeed living in a smaller city may give you more leeway. As long as there's a train station nearby and you're not in the middle of nowhere, access to the nearest large city should not be a problem. I don't recomment relying on buses, because they are much more sensitive to traffic and weather conditions, among others.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Japan with 2000 dollars per month 2016/6/6 10:16
Thank you for the answer.

Did you meant 2000 dollars instead of yen in your last post?
by remoYam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Japan with 2000 dollars per month 2016/6/6 10:16
I meant 2000 dollars, of course, which roughly makes for 200k yen. If your income will be in USD, however, mind the currency exchange fees.

It's also not clear whether you would be able to just get a visa for working remotely. There is the "sole proprietorship" option, but I understand it can be a lot of trouble if you are not a resident in the first place.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread