Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Spouse Visa - Requirements? 2016/6/8 09:29
Good morning everyone.

it won't be for quite some time that I attempt this process therefore I am aware that by the time I do so, rules may change anyway, but in the meantime I would appreciate information from people who actually know something about this subject.

If we assume that as in my case, the marriage is 100% legit and everything is legal, is it easy to get the spouse visa? Are there any financial requirements? what if the spouse's Japanese parents refuse to be the guarantor? Ive read that you need to apply for a certificate of legibility before, does THIS require anything?

Any relevant advice would be really helpful, thank you.

by dcd  

Re: Japan Spouse Visa - Requirements? 2016/6/8 18:33
No idea how hard it is, because my application is still being processed now..

There sure are financial requirements, as in the CEO application is a lot of questions about money.. As for guarantor, at immigration office told us that the wife / husband (the from couple who is Japanese), should be the guarantor..

And yes, application for CEO requires a lot of things.. just go to immigration office and ask about it.. they will give you A4 sized list of things which you need to get..
by 8BB76E1 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Spouse Visa - Requirements? 2016/6/8 18:45
Why did I write "CEO" twice? Of course I meant to write "COE".. And "the one from the couple, who is Japanese"

Re: Japan Spouse Visa - Requirements? 2016/6/8 18:50
Note that a CoE might not be required, depending on where you submit your visa application.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Spouse Visa - Requirements? 2016/6/8 19:04
Yup.. It was funny how the immigration officer gave us that list of things which we should get for COE application, and after I came there the other time, just to ask if we managed to get everything right, another officer asked us, why do we actually want to apply for COE, when it all can be done the other way (changing the status of residence)

anyway, best way is just go to the office, and ask.. ^_^

Re: Japan Spouse Visa - Requirements? 2016/6/8 19:08
Those are totally different things. A CoE is never required for a change of status application, which is not the same thing as a visa application.

Re: Japan Spouse Visa - Requirements? 2016/6/8 19:42
Yes.. I wanted to go the CoE way and get the visa overseas, because changing the status of the residence means staying in Japan without any income longer.. But the immigration officer made me go the "changing the status of the residence" way.. Anyway, I should mention that documents required for both ways are actually the same..

Re: Japan Spouse Visa - Requirements? 2016/6/8 19:47
Well, OP is asking about visa applications... But it is true that the CoE and change of status application procedures are almost identical; this is not surprising since they serve the same purpose (to check whether you qualify for the status you wish to obtain).

reply to this thread