Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 11:43
hi! would you tell me your ideas of my chances getting approved for permission to engage in other activities?
i have 3 years visa in engineering/humanities/int services
but im now over with the company who sponsored me. right now i am studying nihongo and i want part time jobs as of now more than office jobs. the problem is they cannot accept me in the factories and fast food because of my current visa so i am thinking to have the said permission. i also tried applying as an ALT but they want me to have instructor visa which will definitely shorten my visa validity (because instructor visa is only 1 year). do you think having that permission is the best idea? do you have other suggestions in updating my visa that you think are better? thanks in advance
by cardcaptorsakura  

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 17:56
I'd say your chances are zero, especially given that you are currently not engaging in your primary activity.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 19:35
If you are no longer working for the employer who helped you with the 3 year visa, then it would not be "right" to ask for that permission. In the first place, you are supposed to report to immigration any important change in your circumstances, such as employment, within 2 weeks of that change happening. Have you done that?

If you are studying the Japanese language full-time, it would be best to change your resident status to "student," and then get the permission to engage in part-time work.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 19:47
What do you mean it would not be "right"? Everybody is free to apply for whatever they want.

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 19:48
What do you mean it would not be right?
My contract is already ended with the company who sponsored me. Are you saying i still need their permission or approval? I am thinking only the permission from the immigration. The company updated already that i no longer their employee
by cardcaptorsakura rate this post as useful

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 20:07
Firas,

I meant that since (as you said too) the OP is not doing the primary job, he is properly not eligible to keep that status beyond a certain period of time, so he would not be eligible for applying for the permit for "other" activities on that status.

cardcaptorsakura,

I am of course talking about the permission from the immigration.

If your contract is already ended, and if you are staying in Japan without looking for another job in the same category, you are not really eligible to keep that status (it "could" be subject to revocation). And if immigration knows that you are not engaged in your primary job, immigration will have some questions for you if you go apply for that permission.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 21:17
the permission can be given, if you work in the same category.
you don't work in the same category, the permission itself does not exist.
if you don't find a new job of the same category, your stay in Japan becomes illegal.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 21:26
"the permission can be given, if you work in the same category"

what will be the sense of permission if i would still work in the same category? the purpose is to permit me to engage in other activities, as the name of the visa update implied.

of course i am looking for another job but its hard without nihongo skill. thats why i am studying and at the same time looking for work that fit my visa. but since i dont have yet, i want to work part time so i can finance my daily living without suffering my savings.

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 21:45
What you say is nonsense, Mr. Dots. As long as OP's status hasn't expired or been revoked, it is as valid as anyone else's. I don't understand why so many people can't understand this.

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 22:06
you have to follow the working status (visa) you have now. you have to work in the same category.
sometimes, your income might be not enough in the work under the visa category. then, immigration gives you a special permission to work in other category as a part time (not a full time).
that is the meaning of 資格活動外許可.
資格活動外許可 is an appendix. never be a major.

more simple example:
if you are in student visa (status) and you quit the school, your 資格活動外許可 is no more valid, because you are no more a student.

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 22:13
It is not nonsense. Once the circumstances that substantiates his resident status is gone (in the OP's case, leaving the job/contract ending), his status "can" be revoked until he finds another job in the same category in a relatively short time. And this means it is not guaranteed at all.

They can change to Temporary Visitor or Student status if they want to stay in Japan to pursue some other activities (other than the original work they had) such as traveling or studying, but they cannot stay, for example, for two extra years on a three-year visa after leaving the first job at the end of the first year, without doing something about it.

And when I say doing something about it, I mean the following: since the initial circumstance is gone, the options the OP has are: to find a job in the same category; to leave Japan; stay in Japan but change to anther status (such as Student, Temporary Visitor, OR another work category if he is eligible and finds another employer). But since he has lost the cause for the initial status granted, he is not eligible for permission for other activities (usually this means in addition to the primary job he has).
by Mr Dots (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 22:13
@OP If your primary activity in Japan right now is studying, the proper thing to do would be to change to Student status, then you should be able to get the part-time work permit easily.

There is simply no other solution. Although it is not (I repeat, NOT) illegal to stay in Japan without engaging in one's primary activity, the system is designed under the assumption that you will just go back home when you are done with your business, and it does nothing to accomodate those who don't. In particular, from immigration's point of view you should be going back home, so they will see no reason to allow you to work part-time, you csn forget that.

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 22:14
Correction: the word "until" in the second line of my last post should be "unless."
by Mr Dots (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 22:22
thank you all for your efforts! highly appreciated!

what i plan to say is this:

my primary purpose is:
FINDING A JOB (i can show proof)

to find a job, I decided to study nihongo.

while looking for a job and studying nihongo, i decided to apply for part time job which i have more chance of getting hired (actually i am already hired and have contract) and promise that i will work less than 28 hours a week since that job is not my primary purpose why i currently have working visa.
does that make sense?

i actually consulted with govt foreigner counseling and they said its hard to obtain a student visa in my part since i already have the "better" kind of visa.

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/15 23:19
I am afraid that you misunderstand the visa (residential status) system.
find a new job which matches to the visa status category as soon as possible. (within 3 months, preferable.)
if you explain that way, (if I were an immigration officer,) I will put a red flag in your record as a potential over-stayer.

Re: permission to engage in other activities 2016/6/16 07:26
i actually consulted with govt foreigner counseling and they said its hard to obtain a student visa in my part since i already have the "better" kind of visa.

That sounds like nonsense. The "better" status is the one which matches your current situation, and since right now your primary activity is studying, you should be on "Student" status.

reply to this thread