Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 06:23
Hello.
I know a lot of people who use this site, so I figured I'd give it a try.
In a few months I'll be moving to Japan with my fiance (Wife by then).
I'll already have a visa (obsessively), but I do not currently have a B.A degree.
I've always had solid jobs in America, not a lot of need for a degree in Sales or I.T, more about know how.
Since I will have a Visa, will I be able to find some type of job in Japan?, I know the visa will play in my favor, but I know without a degree I'll face limitations.

I know teaching English is my best bet, I'm okay with that...I also know it wouldn't be at a high end place or anything, which again is fine.
Just something to get me started and get my feet wet, in the future I plan to either finish off my college (or if I have to, start anew) in Japan, or I will take some online classes to finish it while living in Japan.

Also her family wishes for us to live with them until we save up enough money to buy a home, not sure if that is a factor really, doubt it is...but any information I can provide could be of some sure I know. Also we would be living in the Ota area (near Tokyo).

Thanks for any advice that can be given!
by StevenR86  

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 09:39
How's your Japanese?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 10:00
I'm sure you'll get a few replies with a range of advice, but here is my 2 cents.
The fact you have a visa which will allow you to work in pretty much any field will an advantage. Most jobs advertise for those with degrees is usually so that they can sponsor the successful applicant for a work visa, if necessary.
I'm sure there are jobs which do require a degree as part of the job requirement, but English teaching (at the lower level at least) is usually not one of these, therefore you should have no problems finding an English teaching job.
Jobs outside of English teaching may have more strict conditions such as a degree in a particular field, etc. but this would case by case.
by SDJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 10:58
So you will be on a spouse visa, then you can live in Japan. The job side of things is more related to how good your language skills are for almost anything outside English language related jobs. Is that your basic question - it wasn't so clear.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 12:14
The whole "no degree thing" doesn't really matter when you have a spouse visa.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 12:37
My Japanese currently is still weak, i know the basics and am learning daily, but of course it will take time.

I know English teacher will of course be the easiest job to get, is there any other possibilities too? Or just stick to English for awhile?.
Also how is the pay for teaching?, i know it isn't anything glamorous but i am curious.
by StevenR86 rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 13:00
I think if you want something other than English teaching, nobody here can help you much. It's possible in theory, but given your lack of degree and weak Japanese, you will have to be creative. (Finding a good job without a degree is very difficult for Japanese people as well, it has nothing to do with visas.)

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 13:16
I figured.
I don't mind teaching for awhile, and as i said my Japanese has definitely gotten better, but im still learning.

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 14:48
Speaking from experience:

Study and pass the JLPT, then use that to find work.

Keep in mind many jobs are seeking English-speaking Japanese, as they have no visa status that must be maintained, as well as holding native-level fluency.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 21:05
I've heard of the JLPT, do you have any advice for it? , like what level my Japanese should be before taking it.

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/16 21:14
The official JLPT website has sample tests for each level, so you can look at them to see where you stand. Having a N2 or N1 is required in many places, but taking a lower level is a waste of money; you can demonstrate the same level of proficiency just by having a short conversation.

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/17 00:04
Others have given advice, but I think they are being a little on the kind side.

Basically, without a degree and a good level of Japanese (JLPT N2 or higher) you will be essentially limited to really entry-level English language teaching. Basically, no chance of promotion unless you open your own school. Little chance to get the better jobs (corporate gigs), and no chance to get the best ones (university teaching). Annoy your employer, and they'll replace you with a 22 year old.

As long as you are teaching English, you will have no real job security. The salary is great for a 22 year old graduate, but you will really struggle to bring up a family on 3 million yen per year and no pension benefits.

With an English teachers salary, you can probably forget about buying a house - you'd never get a loan. Maybe a super cheap 30-year old place in the country.

Just remember, without qualifications and Japanese proficiency you really are right at the bottom of the employability pool.

However, all is not lost. Study Japanese every day. Pass N2. Get your degree as soon as possible. Preferably get a Master degree. With those, a career is not out of the question.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/17 02:27
The simple fact that i can at least get an English teaching job alone with a spouse visa is good enough to begin with, even if it is a weaker position.
I am working on my Japanese as I've said many times, a lot of people tell me it will be much easier to grasp once in Japan and I don't hear English so commonly.

Someone recommend i should use the fact that i do knowa lot of Japanese citizens in Japan to my advantage, maybe look into private English lessons, things like that.

A friend also recommend looking into some website...something sensai, i need to go back and read the message she sent me, but was told its a good free way to get your feet wet in English teaching in Japan.

One other question, would anyone recommend me finishing off my degree in Tokyo itself? , I've heard some people say University of Tokyo is actually very nice, yes I'd need to bring my Japanese up to a higher level, but i am working on it as I said.

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/17 06:47
yes, you can. if you have an ability to enter Harvard, Yale, MIT, Cal tech, Stanford, etc.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/17 09:59
So, you may not have liked my reply, but I stand by it anyway. Being positive is important, but having a realistic view of the situation is also important.

With a spouse visa you can get an entry level position. I am glad to hear that you plan to get your Japanese up to a good level. You should be aiming for native level fluency.

To get more than an what is essentially an entry-level job you will need the degree. Unlike your home country, there is basically no way for you to start at the bottom and work your way up. As others have said, even Japanese nationals struggle to get stable, well-paying jobs nowadays - even well-qualified people.

At the moment you will be coming to Japan for a girl. Nothing wrong with that. However, getting your Japanese up to speed and getting suitably qualified should be your top priorities going forward. I think you need to aim for a career, not just any job. Do you think your relationship could survive 50 years of living paycheck to paycheck? Will you end up resenting your spouse? Many marriages have ended over less.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/17 11:53
Hmm? Sorry if it came across as i didn't appreciate your advice, i want the good and the bad possibilities, so if it came off as I did not then sorry.

Also i dunno if it matters, she has a pretty solid job lined up for herself in Japan (another reason we are going, on top of her parents wanting us to stay with them until we save up to buy a home)

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/17 12:04
Steven
Looks like too dependent on your spouse
While I don't wish this for you, but please read up on Internet about experience of a lot of westerners who found carpet being pulled under their legs in a sudden event of divorce. There are 100s of cases like that
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/17 12:12
I know of such cases and i understand the fear.
But a few things.
It wasn't my idea to live with her family, they offered so we could save money, i was hesitate at first.
Second, i can't exactly tell her "heeeey don't get a good job because then im depending on you". Here in America it was the other way around, i have a solid job, where she has a less solid job, but we've been talking about going to Japan for awhile now.

Also as I've said 3 or 4 times now...im working on my Japanese and a degree.

Re: Spouse Visa, Check, No Degree though 2016/6/17 13:31
Please don't teach english.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread