Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 47

1 2 3
next

Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/17 17:39
Hi all, I would like to share with you my story with the spouse visa renewal in hopes I find someone who experienced the same problem and successfully could get the 3 years visa later. To put you in the context, I would like to share with you the following:
1- I'm 28 old, part time worker. My wife is younger than me and still a student. We are living with her family. I have a BA.
2- Her dad is sponsoring me.
3- I have no crime records.
4- Entered Japan as tourist and changed to marriage visa.
After changing my tourist visa to marriage visa, they gave me 1 year to live in Japan. Next year when I went to renew my visa, they gave 1 year again. I was thankful to them though. Then, I waited for the 3rd time renewal, I was optimistic and hoping I can get the 3 years extension. I went to the immigration office and submitted my documents. They have chosen to give me 1 year for the 3rd time. I felt very bad since my countrymen came to Japan after me, and already got 3 years. I calmed myself and assumed that everything is fine. I convinced myself that 1 year is not bad as well especially that there are other people who got only 6 months extension
. A year later, I went to the immigration for the visa renewal, I submitted all the documents, and once again, the officer gave me the new resident card with 1 year extension. I got extremely furious and thought that the immigration office is being unfair to me. Even my wife got mad about the situation. We had to ask an officer over there. I told him is there any mistakes with my visa inspection/examination, why I was given 1 year for the 4th year in row? His answer was there is no problem with your visa. The visa inspectors make no mistakes. He gave me a hint, he said may be you or your wife don't pay taxes, that is why you always get the 1 year extension.
Generally speaking, this is what happened, 3 month+1 year+1 year+1 year+1 year. As you can see, I can't apply for the permanent visa as I have not gotten the 3 years yet.
To make long story short, to raise your chances to get the 3 years visa. It is necessary that the one who is sponsoring to have paid the national taxes. If you or the person sponsoring you don't pay resident taxes, it is hard to get the 3 years extension. I am telling you this because I asked a Japanese lawyer and he confirmed the information.
My questions:
1- I have paid the resident taxes this year for the first time (taxes for last year). However, my annual income is only 20–œ‰~. Can this be a problem?
2- My father in law also paid the resident taxes this year. However he is a retired man, could this be a problem as well?
3- My mother in law also pays the resident taxes, should I ask her to sponsor me instead of my dad?
4- Is there any other person who is doing only a part time job plus his wife is not working, and still got the 3 years extension?
5- I passed the JLPT N2, should I submit a copy of the certificate to show them that I have been working hard to study and live in Japan without any problems?
I find the immigration office very rude and shows no respect to me, especially last time, the officer wasbeing RACIST with me. I was using a formal Japanese while he used "tamiguchi". He looked at me down. I didn't keep quite and reported the problem to a special department in the immigration office.
If they continue to act like this, I will certainly leave Japan even if it's a very nice place to live in.
This is part of the story and I wish I can get your answers or feedback about it.
Thank you.

by justagaijin  

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/17 19:53
Take the ranting and raving out of the equation.

They were nice and gave you a hint to solve your problem. Use the hint and be thankful they gave it to you. A sponsor with no/low income may ring alarm bells with immigration. Hence the reason for only giving you a temporary 1 year visa status on each occasion.

I'd suggest finding a sponsor that has a job and income that is assessable. Then they may find your situation more stable are reward you with a longer visa period.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/17 21:39
Please read the point 1 & 2 you wrote above again. This is exactly a recepie for disaster
Being too much dependent on people who are merely in position to Support themselves.

Visa is a proviledge, not a right
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/17 21:50
you should work as normal people are doing.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/17 22:08
You should not expect any improvement until you and/or your wife has a stable, full-time job.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/17 23:03
Thanks for your reactions guys.
I definitely agree with you, being independent and having a full time job is important. However, I can't think that the immigration are kind to foreigners.
They should not expect all of us to get a full time job in the first two years since we have to work more on mastering the language. In my case, I had to go to a Japanese school and now I am preparing myself to do my master studies. So, doing a part job is my only option.
I can't agree with the idea that visa is a privilege not a right. Once I got married to a Japanese, it means I have some rights. She is my wife and a Japanese national. They should show her and I some respect. We will be making children that can help in building Japan. I have no doubts that Japanese officers just follow the the law and the rules, they don't check the special cases. I know many other foreigners who do not work and rely completely on their sponsors especially their wives. Yet, they already got the PR. I have a job and it's enough for me and my wife for living. I am not dependent on my sponsor. We simply live them upon their request without paying rent. Indeed, the law is there to control us and limit our freedom. The law is unfair.
Now I think that the inspectors never check things carefully, they just see if the person or his sponsor is paying taxes or not, then they give 3 years. If you or sponsor doesn't pay the bloody residential taxes, you will never get the 3 years unless it's the birthday of the inspector ;)
Unfortunately, this means that foreigners like me who are too many are unwanted. We have no rights. They subliminally tell us get lost. We don't care for you and your wife. Is this what we may call a law/justice?
I paid•Κ‹ζ–―Εand“s–―Ε (residential taxes) and also my sponsor did. This time I have a proof that I am living in Japan as any Japanese citizen. I work (even if a part time) yet I pay taxes as any regular Japanese person. They have no reason to give me 1 year for the fifth time.
I am sorry if I disagreed with someone, but it just I felt highly disappointed by the way I am being treated especially that my only problem is that I am doing a part time job and my wife is still a student.
Note please, I love Japanese people and culture. I love everything here and have no issues with anyone apart my the immigration policy. Also, I agree with all of you. I just had to say all this to make it clear to all foreigners and reveal the dark side of Japan ;).
Thanks for reading.
by justagaijin rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/17 23:12
Sir, with all due respect, as you mentioned in another thread that you are from middle eastern country
Please take out some time to find how good is a "right" to have a visa in some of middle eastern countries
How the outsiders get treated and put their lives in the hands of sheikhs even to earn peanuts

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/17 23:41
This is a response to the comment number (6):
I completely disagree with the idea of dehumanizing people. Unfortunately, I am not from the countries that you are talking about. I come from a North African country. Every year thousands of Africans come to my country intending to pass to Europe. But, our government offered them the papers to stay and work without any issues. My country is very welcoming to foreigners. Imagine this, we gave permission for people to stay even if we don't even have background about them.
I know that each country has the authority to protect its territory by all means. Still, I hope you kindly understand that it's irrelevant to compare a developed country as Japan with another country that relies completely on the petrol they get out of the desert.
You got what I am saying bro. Let's not drift away from the main topic. This thread is about spouse visa.I hope I can hear other people's experience with their visa renewal process? How did it go?
Very respectfully,

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/17 23:55
I think, I think, I think... Look, nobody cares what you think. You better understand that.

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 00:00
Firas, you may be right. I will focus on things that must be done.
I appreciate your comment.

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 00:24
I can't agree with the idea that visa is a privilege not a right. Once I got married to a Japanese, it means I have some rights.

No. A visa is ALWAYS a privilege.

Face facts - if not for your marriage, given your salary, it seems like you would not get a visa for Japan. You should be happy with what you can get.

If you feel it is unfair, you can get on a plane any time. No-one will stop you.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 00:43
@Dainichi Heater, that's the cold hard truth.
I'll keep what you said in mind. I didn't came all this far to quit now.
Thanks again for responding.

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 01:26
most of sophisticated Japanese singles never get married, until they have a firm financial condition.
otherwise, the marriage will cause to make unhappy family and unhappy babies.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 01:46
Immigration is doing their job, how can they give a stable long term visa given the unstable conditions of job and income

I don't understand the frustration, they did not deny the visa. They still let you stay with your wife
Yes you have to renew the visa more often but that's a very small price to pay given your condition
If I was you, I would thank them profusely for granting visa

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 08:06
It makes no sense including god or my origins in this discussion. This problem is being experienced by other foreigners from different countries as well. Kindly don't mention anything about my origins unless it helps someway in dealing with this case.
I am sharing my story to help others understand the immigration policy in Japan. Also, I wanted to know other gaijins thought about what happened to me since your feedback can help me know my position.
Thank you again for your help.

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 11:08
From some other material I've seen, one option is to use a different immigration office.

And face the fact that you will always be an outsider in Japan and discriminated against either overtly or subtly.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 12:16
Each application are treated differently. This may or may not be relevant but maybe hold some truth, unwritten rule.
Some immigration are more lenient, depends on how many foreigners they deal with. Also, your appearance or behaviour while making the application may also affect the decsion making. The counter officer may or may not make some notation on or form.
So there are many possibilities or reason why other get it easy and other don't.

FYI mine was 1+1+3 curently have PR. also started out as unemployed then part time and now contract. All the while until PR my father-in-law act as sponsor. Also I have a daughter after my 2nd year.
So having children do help with renewal as gv show your commitment to the marriage and maybe longterm resident.
As other mention consider yourself lucky they renew your visa. Enjoy your stay and hope for the best next time. Be courteous and presentables when making renewal.
by ..@ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 14:16
By the way, you say you plan to enroll in a Master's program. If you do that, then you should switch to Student status, which in normal cases should be granted for the duration of your course (normally two years). Then graduate, get a job, and switch to Spouse status again. If you are currently attending a language school, it would be proper to switch to Student now, as well.

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 15:35
I really appreciate your comments.
After knowing how you think about my issue, I realized that 1 year is not a very bad. I will be more patient until I get the 3 years.
This year I paid the resident taxes and my sponsor did as well. So, next time we will submit all the documents showing that my family is having a stable financial life. Even in case they give me 1 year again, I will try to cope with the situation until I get a full time job with a good salary to make them have no doubts that I am not going to be a burden on their shoulders. It seems that I am not lucky enough with the immigration office. I asked my colleague at work from a South American country, she said that she knows many other people married to Japanese nationals and they still get 1 year extension every time.
I don't think it's a nice idea to change my current visa status to a student visa. The only reason is that if I am on a student visa, I won't be able to apply for the PR. The latter is the reason behind all the hassle man. As long as I know that 3 years visa will be sooner or later, I would wait for it. Also, keeping changing the visa status from marriage to student or working visa is not good thing for the immigration office. It may look suspicious to them.
As most of you have mentioned, my only choice is to be patient. I am currently doing a part time job and paying the resident taxes.
Next time documents will be:
1- Proof that I paid my both •Κ‹ζ–―Εand“s–―Ε plus Š“ΎΕB
2- Proof that my sponsor did as well.
3- Proof of my annual income.
4- Certificate of Passing the JLPT N2 and JLPT 1.
5- Proof that shows that I have been going to school that is why I could not do a full time job.
Note, even if I am doing a part time job, I do pay the health insurance for my wife and myself.
This is a link from the immigration office official webstie that shows what matters most to them: http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/Table3-2.html.
Thank you so much for all your comments.

Re: Spouse Visa 4 times 1 year extension? 2016/6/18 15:46
I don't think it's a nice idea to change my current visa status to a student visa. The only reason is that if I am on a student visa, I won't be able to apply for the PR. The latter is the reason behind all the hassle man. As long as I know that 3 years visa will be sooner or later, I would wait for it. Also, keeping changing the visa status from marriage to student or working visa is not good thing for the immigration office. It may look suspicious to them.

Again, you are making a ton of false assumptions based on your own ideas of how things work, which you picked up God knows where.

1. If you are a student, then Student is the proper status, no matter which others you may also qualify for. As you should have noticed by now, immigration does not look keenly on people who are on Spouse status while studying.

2. The PR thing is a non-issue at the moment: you are not going to get PR any time soon.

3. The whole reason why you are allowed to change statuses in the first place is so you can alway be on the appropriate status for your present situation. The idea that changing statuses is "suspicious" is ridiculous. To the contrary, by doing so you demonstrate that you understand how things work.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 47

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread