Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to get long-term resident visa 2016/6/18 18:47
I originally wanted to get a permanent residence visa, but because it is so hard to get, I recently found out about long-term resident visas.

How can I get this?

My intention is to be able to work any job I want. I am not really concerned right now with the other perks PR gives. There has been a few times where I applied for jobs here in Japan but I can't get them because of the limitations on my humanities visa. The response from all the prospective employers would tell me, in sum, is that I need "spouse, PR or long term residence visa."

I can't get spouse nor PR because I'm not married and I haven't been in Japan for 10 years. And if foreigners in Japan are encouraged to have a stable income, then I think a long term residence visa would really help me satisfy that requirement.

In short, I just want to work any job I want, without any limitations.

by BigBoyTeddy  

Re: How to get long-term resident visa 2016/6/18 19:16
"Long-term resident visa" is granted only on special, specific circumstances, such as to those with Japanese ancestry and their family members, or those who used to be married to Japanese national but later got divorced (or their Japanese spouse passed away) AND recognized to have their life firmly established in Japan.

In your case, pursuing jobs on employer-sponsored visa (such as the one you have), or if you don't like the current field, find an employer who is willing to help at least with "change of resident status" from the one you have, continue to work in Japan, and stay long enough so that you can apply for PR status.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to get long-term resident visa 2016/6/18 19:32
What is the matter with some people? Why do you think they would bother with all those job-specific statuses if "long-term resident" status were available to anybody who wants it?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How to get long-term resident visa 2016/6/19 08:54
A comment from my immigration lawyer recently is that PR is the most likely to be declined of all of the visa applications they handle.

While the Japan Government want immigration, in reality it doesn't work that way. For example they introduced a highly skilled application route (a points based system), spent several ten of million yen on it (several USD$million), they had 15 applicants in something like two years - just 15!!

I'm going to do my 10 years+ on short-term visas before I bother to apply.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How to get long-term resident visa 2016/6/19 09:22
Firas,

I am trying to establish myself here in Japan, and it is pretty hard to do that if I can't be employed due to the limitations of my visa. In essence, is there anything wrong with that?

Of course there are job-specific visas, but if the company would only sponsor it, I wouldn't be in this predicament. I can only assume why they don't, but they are asking for these long-term visas specifically during recruitment. And these are legitimate companies since they are in the fields of hospitality or large conglomerates.

I was just wondering/hoping if there was some way, or some agent/lawyer that can help me.
by BigBoyTeddy rate this post as useful

Re: How to get long-term resident visa 2016/6/19 10:17
Basically, you wouldn't get that visa. Unless you are of Japanese descent or something like that.

You have to follow the rules like everyone else. Find jobs which will sponsor a visa. Those which can't or won't aren't really options. After 10 years, you will have put your time in, and you can apply for PR.

We have to understand that we don't have the same rights of freedoms we have in our home countries. If you want to live in Japan, you will have to make peace with that.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How to get long-term resident visa 2016/6/19 12:23
BigBoyTeddy,

You cannot just apply for Long-term Resident visa without the specific circumstances I mentioned earlier.

If you want a "no limitation status," PR is the only one that would be available to you, after being on work visa(s) for 10 years, then apply for PR.

At least you have the current status, which means you fulfill the basic immigration requirements for a work visa, such as either a bachelor's degree or several or more years of relevant work experience, so there should be some employer who is willing to help at least with "change in resident status," meaning helping you with submitting employment letter and contract to immigration.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to get long-term resident visa 2016/6/19 19:06
'Long term resident' status is a commonly misunderstood residency class that appears as if it could apply to almost anyone, so it's understandable that you might think it would be an easier route to long term residency. In reality, LTR is special permission granted to people in situations that have a need to stay in Japan, yet might not fall within other residency classes. For example, the foreign parent of a Japanese national child who is raising the child in Japan, or someone who has become stateless. As you see these are not typical everyday situations.

The typical path is to work ten years on short term visas and then apply for PR.

Of course there are job-specific visas, but if the company would only sponsor it, I wouldn't be in this predicament. I can only assume why they don't, but they are asking for these long-term visas specifically during recruitment.

Companies ask about Spouse, PR or LTR as it saves them a lot of time and money by being able to skip the visa sponsorship step. If you are indeed qualified for the job and a visa then they should be able to sponsor a work visa for you.

I am trying to establish myself here in Japan, and it is pretty hard to do that if I can't be employed due to the limitations of my visa. In essence, is there anything wrong with that?

May I ask why you feel that you can't be employed within the limitations of your visa? Or are you trying to switch into a different career path? If that's the case, the options can be far more limited.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread