Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to dispose of old furniture in Japan? 2016/6/22 11:10
Hi,

I have some old furniture (metal/wood) in Japan that I want to dispose of. Where can I get rid of this furniture?

Thanks
by Nick (guest)  

Re: Where to dispose of old furniture in Japan? 2016/6/22 12:48
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to dispose of old furniture in Japan? 2016/6/25 04:06
Old furniture can be disposed of at your local home center (hoomu sentaa) although be prepared to pay a disposal fee. If you are unable to take the furniture to the home center, you can also arrange to have the furniture collected for an additional fee, although to save money I would call a taxi and bring the furniture with you.

There are many home centers in Japan: Viva Homes, Cainz and DOIT (just to name a few). For more information, you should call the city office (kuyakusho). The city office will be able to tell you everything you need to know about disposing old furniture and disposal locations in your area. There may be other places wood and metal can be disposed off that I am not aware of, although the city office will definitely be able to tell you this information.

Anyway, good luck. Hope that helps.
by ababa178 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to dispose of old furniture in Japan? 2016/6/25 10:08
Thanks for the reply.

Is Komeri or Musashi one of these home centers?
by Nick (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to dispose of old furniture in Japan? 2016/6/25 13:00
Check with your local city hall to ask about "sodai gomi kaishuu" (large waste collection), it comes with a fee, but they can come collect it for you at the nearest pick-up point. If you are living in an apartment unit, they usually have a designated large item collection point.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread