Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How long does it take you to find a job? 2016/6/22 14:12
How long does it take you to find a job while you are in tokyo?
Or changing jobs?
by cardcaptorsakura  

Re: How long does it take you to find a job? 2016/6/22 15:50
It depends.

How qualified are you?
Do you speak Japanese?
What type of job do you want?
Are there vacancies in that field?
Do you have an appropriate visa?
So you have the skills they are looking for?
How much competition is there?

If you fulfill all the criteria, have a suitable visa, and interview well, then I guess it could take as little as a couple of weeks.

If, however, you lack the necessary qualification, the answer could be "a very long time".
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How long does it take you to find a job? 2016/6/23 01:18
It says "you"
so this is not all about me.
You may tell me your skills and background.
Treat this as survey or something similar.
by cardcaptorsakura rate this post as useful

Re: How long does it take you to find a job? 2016/6/23 09:25
Made my own job, so zero time. (so not very useful for your survey)

For others, could take a while - weeks/months would be the apply/screen/interview/offer/start cycle. Not that different to hiring people in other parts of the world.

I have a friend that was offered a position to start within two weeks from the first contact, but the organisation was hopelessly flawed (with high staff turnover) which was one of the reasons it was so quick.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How long does it take you to find a job? 2016/6/23 11:25
Well, lots of people who post on here are non-native English speakers, and sometimes they make mistakes. They want to know how long the average time is, assuming that they will get a job within that time frame.

Your question, for example, is flawed grammatically. Since you are asking about past events, "did" would be more appropriate than "does", which assumes a future event. You can understand my confusion, I think.

Anyway, as a university academic living and working outside Tokyo, I think my situation is different - jobs are so few in number and so specific.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How long does it take you to find a job? 2016/6/25 03:34
I think most people can typically find a job in Tokyo within about a month, although it really depending on the job industry and time of the year. That's also assuming you're meet the criteria for the job.

April is considered as the start of the business year for many companies so many people change jobs during this time of the year, which also means many jobs become available, making this is the best time to be looking for jobs. I typically look for jobs around February and I've never had any problems finding a job within a month.
by ababa178 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread