Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/23 00:42
Javascript?.
I've read that a year or two ago it was so in demand in Japan, visas were even being offered to people who only had A.S degrees.
I know of course your Japanese would need to be J2 level or higher, but just curious how far Java or other computer programming languages can take you in Japan currently
by Rutherford  

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/23 15:12
What is an A.S degree?
I'd say Japan would be the same as anywhere when it comes to coding jobs, but tougher, especially for a foreigner.
To be honest, unless you have some seriously unique/excellent coding skills and at least 5 year experience to boot, plus a high level of Nihongo, I don't like your chances.
I would say that JavaScript would not be particularly needed, more like Java, C+, etc... would be the way to go.

But, if that's what you read... maybe.
by Matt1969 rate this post as useful

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/23 16:34
A.S. is Associates Degree. However, that alone wouldn't qualify you for a visa. As mentioned, at a minimum you'd need significant work experiences to pass the visa hurdle alone.
by yllwsmrf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/23 21:50
The visa information i threw out because of what I read on a post on this site from about a year or two ago, i forgot who it was....but he said he landed a job in Japan as a coder.

I actually will have a Spouse Visa, I've been working on coding since I was younger (late 20s now).
My idea was maybe go to Japan and teach English for a year or two, keep studying to bring my Japanese up to a highly level, while I also practice my coding on the side some more....maybe even find an online freelance style job where I can work for an American company or website regardless of where I live, then after I'm up to par...apply in Japan.

I've seen a fair amount of jobs postes on Gaijinpot jobs before, also yes my fiancé will be working too, so it will help even out the lower income ELT pays.

The coding part is still just an idea I'm considering, something I'd like to do if possible, not something set im stone...I'm always up for suggestions.
by Rutherford rate this post as useful

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/23 21:52
Ouch, forgive the typos...I'm using my phone at the moment instead of my computer...I really hate auto correction as well as these tiny screens.

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/23 23:59
If you check out the Meetup groups in Tokyo and filter for tech and IT-related groups you might get some vague idea of what languages are in demand. They're also a very good resource once you're in Japan for getting advice.

I know a lot of engineers who don't speak much Japanese, but were hired for their coding skills. It helps to have prior experience though and a good resume.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/24 00:12
Surely, you mean "wife" not "fiance", if you're planning to get a spouse visa...
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/24 00:20
I'll definitely look into that group.

And I'm sorry if you dislike me calling her my fiance, but thats what she currently is...we aren't married yet.
I know what a spouse is lol.

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/24 05:46
sorry, you need to know more than just javascript.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/24 14:23
Well, Javascript plus one or more frameworks. It's called being a front-end developer.

Here are some articles on getting a developer job in Japan:http://www.tokyodev.com/jobs/

But again, I'd really suggest trying to get something on your resume before you get to Japan, even if it's volunteer projects to start with. That will also help you decide if you really want to do Javascripting as a full-time job - it's not for everyone.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/24 15:04
Having a fiancé is a plus and living there will give you time to build your skills etc... I think your best bet is to network with locals - maybe young start-ups might be more inclined to take you on, instead of going head on and applying with some international firm.
I do web work (not in Japan) and personally I think JavaScript is really useful, and most people/clients have no idea how it all works, so that's an advantage for you. Keep working and niggling away, an opportunity will pop up somewhere.
You'll need to get married first of course to get a work visa (as far as I know).
by Matt1969 rate this post as useful

Re: How in demand is Javascript 2016/6/24 23:30
Umami Dearest.

Even though I've done a few classes over the years, also helped friends on projects, I'm going to sign up for a few classes pretty soon with EDX.org and get a few certificates through them, but also looking to find any little project I can get my hands on in the future.
I also use to do a good bit of level designing for PC games, it's been awhile so a bit rusty now...but I still remember how.
I've been using HTML and CSS as long as I can remember...so I know, even if basic coding, it'll still help in someway.

Matt1969.

Yes I'll be getting married in September, won't be moving to Japan until April or so at the soonest, but I'm trying to get as much in order as I can before then.
I've been in contact with a few sites who seem to be pretty legit about Private English Teaching, and in September when we have our wedding in Japan, will likely meet a few of the people who are in charge of said sites.
They've already told me I'm good to post a profile as soon as I'm in Japan because I meet the requirements, so that gave me some breathing room as far as being worried about a job right away.

reply to this thread