Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/6/29 03:27
Hi.
I'll spend 3 weeks in Japan this summer. I'll be traveling alone.
I am not someone who depends on the internet a lot, but since I have never been to Japan and I might get lost, I don't know if relying on hotspots will be enough.
What is your advice?
Thanks!
by Elisa (guest)  

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/6/29 08:56
I found hot spots to be unreliable and not as common as you'd think. Plus, a lot of hot spots might be crowded with other users and not be very efficient.

I hire a portable wifi each time I visit Japan which means I'm always connected, which is great for getting around (maps, directions, train timetables, things to do in the area, etc.). It doesn't cost too much and it's a very easy and simple system.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/6/29 15:27
Ok, I'll do that.
I read that I can rent them at the airports, but I depart from a different airport. Other solutions?
Thanks!
by Elisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/6/29 21:11
It is best to rent them before arriving to Japan, as I always do. That way you are guaranteed a device. I rent from GAC (Global Advanced Comm) and pick it up at the airport. In the package there is a self-addressed/posted envelope and you simply drop it off at any mailbox in Japan.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/6/30 06:10
I also rent a mobile wifi. One option is to send it to your hotel the first night in Japan and collect it when you check in. This is best for smaller airports who don't have portable wifi or a Japan Post office
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/6/30 06:12
Personally I have no need for wi-fi portable hotspots. I found that if I did my research before arriving, I didn't need the internet access during the day. All hotels provide internet access. So at night before bed, I just did a few minutes for research for the next day.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/6/30 09:14
It doesn't matter what airport you depart from if you order it online. You are given a post parcel to put the device back in, and then you drop that off at any post box.

I'd advise picking it up at the airport post office if possible (check opening times against your flight arrival time). That way you can use it to find your hotel if you get lost.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/6/30 16:20
Thanks, I will rent a portable Wifi. Any recommended speed? Like I said, I don't use internet a lot, so I'll be using it just for travel related stuff. Oh, and my family wants to check where I am, since I'm pretty much on the other side of the world. Is 75Mbps enough?
Thank you!

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/6/30 21:17
If you're not uploading to the internet (FB, IG, etc.) or streaming anything, then the 21Mb/sec should suffice. These rentals are exactly cheap, so there's no need to make it even more expensive by opting for a speed faster than you really need.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/1 16:13
All Lawson, seven-11 and Family Mart convenience stores have free wifi and you will find them EVERYWHERE.

An increasing number of them now have seating areas inside, so you can wifi to your heart's delight in comfort. Otherwise, just plonk your butt on the pavement outside to use their wifi.
by andy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/6 06:49
Hi,
Keep in mind that if you see a sign that says "free wifi" this does not mean "free internet". You still need some type of contract with a provider.
I have mentioned it before but you do not need to buy or rent a portable WiFi (also called as MiFi) as most smartphones have this function built in (called tethering or mobile hotspot). If you have an older/used smartphone you can bring this and us as a MiFi if you want.
My suggestion is to buy a throwaway SIM and let this sent to your first hotel. And after your trip you do not need to worry about turning the SIM in and it is cheaper too.
Have a nice trip.

B. Slager
by Butch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/9 15:28
Nothing beats the convenience of having persistent access to the Internet, especially during those longer train trips. If your phone has the correct LTE bands and you expect to make light usage of the network, prepaid SIM cards are a cheaper and more convenient alternative to portable Wi-Fi.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/11 01:52
Faiyez,
You are right. However the main reason you want to use portable/mobile wifi (MiFi or better tethering) is that you want to use more devices on the internet with maybe some devices (like tablets) that do not have LTE capabilities and only wifi.

B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/11 05:48
Thank you all.
I'll be traveling alone and only with my smartphone, so that makes it only one device.
But how does it work with the SIM card? Do I still keep my number? Everybody I know is pretty worried about me, so I'll need to message them (with whatsapp) constantly... How does it work with that?
Thank you

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/11 07:58
I'd prefer to be looking upwards at sights than downwards at a phone giving people hourly safety updates.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/12 03:52
But how does it work with the SIM card? Do I still keep my number? Everybody I know is pretty worried about me, so I'll need to message them (with whatsapp) constantly... How does it work with that?

On a GSM phone, your phone number is tied to your SIM card, which you'd be replacing for a different SIM to use on the JP cell network.

In Japan you mostly find data-only SIMs meant for short-term visitors. These SIMs don't have any text/voice plan. Hence, no phone number. But we're assuming it's the Internet you want.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/12 05:23
Plus, aren't WiFi hotspots open for everyone to use, therefore lack the secure connection necessary these days?

Hakata14, that may be your opinion, but people do need it once in a while outside to see where they're at. You may not be one to post much, but others may.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/12 06:31
Plus, aren't WiFi hotspots open for everyone to use, therefore lack the secure connection necessary these days?

Not sure what you mean. There are private locked wifi hotspots, public open wifi hotspots that are freely accessible, and public open wifi hotspots that require a login/paywall to access.

Or are you talking about security while on public wifi?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Wi-Fi Hotspots? 2016/7/12 06:38
Opinions are opinions. Asking a question on a open forums will get you an varying array of answers, advice and opinions.

If you don't want a varying array of answers, advice and opinions. then read a help book, then you'll only get the authors advice and can make your opinion.

Maybe my point about giving people updates was misunderstood. I have no issue with people hitting social media to share their fun times with people. Happiness being shared is good for the world.

But the person asking the question needed the internet to give their family updates on their wellbeing/safety no a more than once a day regulatory basis. I would think that if you are adult enough that you can travel around the world, (and especially into a very safe country like Japan), that one would not need to update the family so regularly. A nightly/morning single update should be enough at most, (in my opinion).
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread