Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Secondary job and tax income 2016/6/29 18:00
Greetings everyone,

i work as a fulltime permanent employee in Tokyo.

Recently, a friend who owns his own company accepted a contract outside of his field of expertise and eventually asked me to help him out. Considering how much he was willing to pay me for it, i accepted to do it.

Now the problem is that this one job increased my yearly income by a third, and now I'm afraid that my current company will notice it at the end of the year.

Is there any way to make sure that my company won't notice anything?
I left my previous company right after the end of the fiscal year this, if they ask me anything maybe i could say that i received a nice bonus before leaving.
by Pabryn  

Re: Secondary job and tax income 2016/6/29 19:15
If your current employer has a ban on doing anything on the side, that will be a problem.

If you are a "regular" employee, your current employer does the "year-end adjustment" for you on your salary, but if your additional income exceeds 200,000 yen, you need to do your own tax filing (you receive a certain document from the employer at the end of the year, then you take that and information about your other income, and file. And the tax amount will be re-calculated.) I do not know if your employer will know the name of the other payer.

In adition I hope that the work you did was within what your resident status allows you to do, you had a proper contract with your friend's company, and you had the permission to engage in activities other than etc....
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Secondary job and tax income 2016/6/29 19:39
I got to check the contract, i think there is one just like in pretty much every company in Japan.

I had a proper contract (_) at the company.
There is no problem with my residence status either.
And yes, the contract exceeded by quite a lot (hence huge jump in yearly income).

I guess i can always say that it was money made before joining them.
by Pabryn rate this post as useful

Re: Secondary job and tax income 2016/6/30 08:42
"fulltime permanent employee"
generally speaking, no company allows permanent employee's side-jobs, without the permission.
that may be a good reason to fire you with penalty (ƐE).
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread