Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Semester or Full-Year Language Programs 2016/7/1 01:22
Hello, all! Been a lurker for... wow, far too many years, perhaps, but finally decided to make a post. Apologies in advance if this is in the incorrect subforum. Also, thank all of you and the hosts of japan-guide for all the invaluable advice I have received over the years from this site. Perhaps at some point I will have something useful to contribute.

It seems as though there are not too many up-to-date threads here or on other similar communities pertaining to those who have participated in semester (non-summer) or full-year language programs in Japan. More specifically, programs that cater to students not otherwise currently enrolled in a home university.

A bit about myself -- I have been to Japan quite a few times over the years, though mainly for vacation or work (I am a relatively recent uni graduate [within past several years], who currently works and resides in the USA). After thinking about it for the past two years, this Spring I finally decided to take the plunge and apply to Waseda's full-year CJL language program. Programs such as this accept people from all walks of life, but, from what I can surmise, people such as myself are a major demographic -- i.e., those who are still relatively young and degree-holding, yet wish to take their technical skillsets (I am an engineer/computer scientist) and transition to live and work in Japan after a year of intensive language study.

Unfortunately, I was myopic in applying only to Waseda's program for this Fall (not out of false hope, but out of foolishness), and my number was not announced on their acceptance bulletin.

Now, enough about me.

Is there a current consensus on programs such as this within Tokyo, or, even, Japan as a whole? Even though application fees are expensive, I would like to apply for Spring 2017 admissions to several other schools as another effort (submit applications at the end of this Summer, as obviously deadlines for Fall 2016 enrollment have long passed).

Currently, I have been looking at schools in Tokyo. I have traveled throughout most of Japan, and am not averse to other regions, although Tokyo would be preferable.

Keio University and Sophia University appear to offer programs of this nature for foreigners wishing to enroll in intensive language study, which seem very similar to Waseda's CJL. Tokyo Tech's website is difficult to navigate, so I am unsure as to their offerings. Seeing as I was not a strong enough candidate to enter Waseda, I am assuming that Toudai is completely out of the question.

I would like this thread to be a launching point for you all as well -- I am sure that some of you who are presently on this site have attended either these or similar programs in Japan, and I am also confident that there are others who are also looking into applying to, or are even currently enrolled in, such programs.

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to your responses!
by hideakiYokai  

Re: Semester or Full-Year Language Programs 2016/7/1 13:13
Is there any reason why you are only looking at universities? There are many language schools where you can study the language full-time; many overseas students enroll in such schools and study for 1.5 - 2 years to bring their Japanese language proficiency (from beginner) to a level sufficient to study in a Japanese university.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Semester or Full-Year Language Programs 2016/7/2 15:40
Hello! Thank you for the reply!

Oh, really? I did not know this! Seeing as I am a somewhat recent graduate, I suppose when I think about learning languages, I think about these sorts of "continuing education" language programs. I have seen such programs at universities in Asia before, so I automatically think learning == uni.

Furthermore, seeing as I would like to work in Japan, I am assuming that, culturally, seeing a Japanese university transcript, even if for only language, will have far more impact with regard connections, perhaps even moreso than the N2 or N1 itself.

Is it popular, then, for people to attend other sorts of language schools that are not affiliated with universities? I seriously had no idea... I knew that such schools existed, but I did not know they were as popular.
by hideakiYokai rate this post as useful

Re: Semester or Full-Year Language Programs 2016/7/2 16:42
I'd say if it is not a degree from a Japanese university, actual language proficiency would matter more for finding employment, IMHO.

To see how extensive Japanese language schools are, please see the listing of those schools here (click on "ENGLISH" on the far right or "Search for schools" on the left):

http://www.nisshinkyo.org/
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Semester or Full-Year Language Programs 2016/7/2 16:57
Furthermore, seeing as I would like to work in Japan, I am assuming that, culturally, seeing a Japanese university transcript, even if for only language, will have far more impact with regard connections, perhaps even moreso than the N2 or N1 itself.

People are "assuming" a lot of things, over here...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Semester or Full-Year Language Programs 2016/7/3 05:05
@AK Thank you for this website !

@Firas Hello! Although, sorry, I am unsure what you're implying in your post -- can you be a bit more clear?
by hideakiYokai rate this post as useful

reply to this thread