Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

marrige in japan 2016/7/4 19:44
hello, me and my Japanese boyfriend are thinking of getting married
but I have a few doubts, because most of my family is overseas
1.if we get married am I allowed to leave japan after? or do I have to wait a few month/years?
2.what kind of things am I allowed to do in japan?
for example, voting, paying taxes
3.what kind of visa would I have and can I leave japan every time I want?
4.what kind of work am I allowed
5.if we have children and then divorce what happens?
6.how complicated is getting married in japan because we have different religions
for the record we know each other for 4 years
thanks in advance
by Sigal  

Re: marrige in japan 2016/7/5 10:03
1. If you get married, you probably want to apply for "Spouse of Japanese National" resident status, right? (if you plan to stay and live in Japan, that is). It would be smart to stay in Japan with your spouse while that is being processed.

2. No restriction on work, but you need to pay taxes on your income and pay resident taxes to. You cannot vote.

3. You can apply for "Spouse of Japanese National" resident status. You can leave.

4. No restriction on your work.

5. If you can show that you need to stay in Japan to raise your child, then you might be able to apply for "Long-Term Resident" status.

6. I don't know about religions; also it depends on what kind of documents your government issues/requires for marriages, such as Certificate of No Impediment. You need to ask at the city hall in Japan where you plan to get married.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread