Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/10 02:41
Dear All:

I will be arriving in Kyoto in a few days, and I am planning to go to Miho Museum and Hikone Castle. Are those 2 places doable in the same day? And how long will be a reasonable stay at each location? Would 2-3 hours be enough in Miho? What I want to avoid is to have to keep watching my time to make it to Hikone Castle before it closes.

Thanks
Steve
by MaiNoKen  

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/10 09:11
It should be possible. The crucial factor is an early start. Don't start your sightseeing at noon.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/10 14:40
What is your mode of transport between the two locations?
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/10 20:41
Thank you for the answers.

Probably via public transportation. Train to bus for Miho, and train for the castle.

I actually looked at the bus and train schedule. If assuming catching the first bus to Miho and stay for 3 hours, I will have 1 3/4 hours at Hikone. The castle is that enough to stay at both places to enjoy both properly.
by MaiNoKen rate this post as useful

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/11 02:01
I would say that's not long enough in Hikone as It is a bit of a walk from the station to the castle. If I was determined to do both in a day I would probably allow 2-2.5 hours for the Miho museum & then go to Hikone but have a backup plan of something near Kyoto station (or wherever your hotel is) to do in case I spent longer at the museum. That said I like Hikone a lot and have stayed there for several days in the past. I will definitely visit again.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/11 03:06
I guess it is best if I split Hikone and Miho then. Anyway, I discover there is a nice Lake Biwa island ferry just behind Hikone Castle. I guess doing that with Hikone Castle be a better idea. And do Miho Museum plus other random Kyoto stuff for a different day.

Anyway, it will be a great trip. I timed the whole thing for Gion Masturi. I am sure it will be great.

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/11 08:29
You can get to Chikubu Island from Nagahama also. Nagahama has a very small railway museum and castle ruins/museum also. The Nagahama train station to the port is about 250m. the museum and ruins are in between.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/11 14:38
I just booked the ferry from Nagahama. The ferry is cheaper as well and I will have JR pass for it.

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/11 15:20
I mean JR pass for train transfer from Hikone to Nagahama.

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/11 21:02
If you find yourself with time in Hikone there is plenty to see. I particularly liked Ryotan-ji. This trip report is very fair, although I liked the castle museum more than they did. Have a great time.

http://www.japan-guide.com/community/mfedley/report-1074
by Stan Norrell (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/11 22:28
Nice information. Thank you. Those temples are actually east of the castle and north of the station, but I will check them out if I have time. Actually I am surprised how high Hikone Castle is relatively to the town.

Also I don't blame them commenting on the air conditioner in museum after I lived more than 1/2 of my life in Hong Kong and Florida. ;-) I bet the hike up the castle will get the sweat back out quickly. ;-)

Re: Miho Museum and Hikone Castle in 1 day 2016/7/12 09:17
You can use the following guide service.

http://www.hikoneshi.com/en/guide/
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread