Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheap way of getting a driving licence 2016/7/12 17:37
I am living in Japan for more than 10 years. I am thinking to take a driving licence. I have already driving licence in my home country, so I know I can avoid the Japanese written test by it.
But I have not practiced the driving for long time, so starting freshly may be best. I am thinking to get admission in Japanese driving school. But the school I visited cost 33 man. What is the cheapest way to get licence? Is there any cheapest school in Aichi area? I want to learn properly.

by Sunny (guest)  

Re: Cheap way of getting a driving licence 2016/7/12 20:02
If all you need are a few driving lessons, then you can ask the driving school for a "paper driver course," that is for people who already have license but haven't driven for a long time, so like a refresher course. They might ask you to take the written test so that you will be allowed to drive on public road (with the instructor next to you), but this should be far less expensive compared to the full course.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap way of getting a driving licence 2016/7/13 16:43
Where is your licensing country? If it is one that you can easily convert your license over then you'll likely only need a refresher course behind the wheel. Hourly lessons start at a few thousand yen at your local driving school.

If you have to take a practical exam to convert your license then you're looking at a few hours of driving lessons plus the time and effort to take the test. Expect to fail several times. The total cost will be a few 10,000 yen on average and a few months time.

All others will need to take driving school which costs 300,000+ yen to complete.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap way of getting a driving licence 2016/7/13 18:05
Practice driving at driving school should not cost your more than 10,000 per session.

Just a word of caution on the 3 months/90 days rule stay in your home country, since you been in Japan for 10 years.

You will need to prove residency in your country for a minimum of 3 months after license issuance.

Double check your driving license date, they will scrutinize your driving license date.

http://japaninfoswap.com/converting-your-foreign-license-to-a-japanese...

http://www.survivingnjapan.com/2010/10/how-to-get-drivers-license-in-j...
by ..@ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread