Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do I have a chance in Japan? 2016/7/20 10:28
Hello everyone.

I wanted to know what kind of chances I stand of getting a job and surviving in Japan.

My biggest fear is my age. Right now, I am 27 years old, and unfortunately, I decided to start college at 25. I am studying to become a IT Engineer (it is a 5 years degree here, and they give you a 3 years degree, a pre-degree I guess, systems analyst). So, By the time I get the 5 years degree I will probably be around 31-33 (I'm almost 2/5 done).

I do have some known certifications in IT (red hat and Cisco) and been working in IT servers support since I was 20,, but I heard I don't stand a chance with either the 3 years degree or the certs alone that I need a 4 years degree.

So, Basically I want to put some effort and try to finish the career but with a 8 hours job is hard to do it really fast. I am also studying Japanese.

To any of you foreigners out there who live in Japan, what is your experience on getting hired after 30 years old? Anything you can share, specially if you work in IT.

I am saving money to also do a lenguage course there ( I think I can submit a request to get a 2 years student visa ).

Thank you a lot

by debian  

Re: Do I have a chance in Japan? 2016/7/20 14:05
I was hired at 30 years old, but that was to become an English Teacher. I'm not sure about the IT industry but I think the main barrier for you isn't your age, but the fact that you can't speak fluent Japanese. You need to have a JLPT level of at least N2, preferably N1, in order to work for a Japanese company. As you're a foreigner, you probably need more experience and a longer degree under your belt, as you're competing with Japanese people who have the same qualifications as you. So unless you have the time to fully dedicate yourself to learning the language (it takes at least 2 years of full time study), I think your chances are slim. But every industry is different - if you want to work in the education field as an English teacher or ALT you will have far more luck as Japanese fluency isn't a job requirement.
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I have a chance in Japan? 2016/7/20 14:10
I moved to Japan when I was 30 and I found a job. It was not easy to find someone who would sponsor my visa, but it was much easier than finding a job in my home country in Europe.
Mind you I had a degree, N1 Japanese proficiency and a number of years of experience in tourism which helped. But once you have a degree and a certain command of the language, and it's a job in a field that is in demand, it's not impossible.

If you are just aiming for a student visa, all you need is to enroll in a school and prove you have the money to live in Japan as you attend school. But you won't be able to have a full time job as a student and it would be two more years of your precious time.
If you can start studying Japanese now and then enroll in a 6 month course only, and try finding a fulltime job in the meantime somewhere that would sponsor switching your student visa to a work visa, that might be the best option.
Do your best!
by krr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I have a chance in Japan? 2016/7/21 00:39
Thank you for your input everyone. There is still a light at the end of the tunnel.

I am studying Japanese now so by the Time I get a degree, I would hope that I can pass N3 at least.

My idea is to also save money ( I should be able to sabe at least 20-25K USD), so that I can enroll on a Japanese lenguage program, before trying to aim for a job in IT. Also, I would not mind at all doing any other job outside my area of study, IT In this case. I would not mind teaching english at all, but it's unfortunate that it's not my first lenguage, spanish is my main lenguage, I have worked many years with American companies and have a lot of experience in English, but I don't have that native accent :/.

Thanks!!

by debian rate this post as useful

Re: Do I have a chance in Japan? 2016/7/21 01:48
I have a slighlty different opinion. IT jobs in Japan are everywhere, specially in Tokyo, and most of the times high language proficiency is not required, so you still stand a chance. However, most of these jobs are at entry level, where you're just writing code, monitoring servers and maybe doing low-level design. Salaries range in the 3-4M jpy, which is just alright and nothing fancy.

In order to have access to positions in Systems Engineering, Program Management or above, where lots of interaction with the customers is expected, you will need at least N2 japanese skills.

My recommendation to you is to definitely complete college. If possible, try to look for internships in Japan or exchange programs. Start networking from now, LinkedIn is your friend. Even above 30 years old you can get a job in Japan as long as your skills are deemed as in high demand, which IT is. There's a huge shortage of skilled workers here. However, it sounds like you're more into IT as in technical support, which in my opinion is a bit overcrowded (owned by Indians). I'd recommend you to make the shift to Software development/programming.
by Aru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I have a chance in Japan? 2016/7/22 11:53
Hi!

I am fine with doing a entry level job really, I have no problems with that, as long as the salary is enough to keep a rent up and living there while I get used to the culture. Thanks for your recommendation, I will keep on studying to get a 5 years degree.

I don't have any experience on software development, nothing fancy at least.

I was thinking on doing the 2 years lenguage program where they allow you to work 4 hours a day, what are your thoughts on that?
(Once I get my degree here)

So I can get used to the lenguage and culture.

by debian rate this post as useful

Re: Do I have a chance in Japan? 2016/7/22 12:46
Hi,
I hope that all you are fine, I need to know somebody talk spanish, thanks.
by lordeimos rate this post as useful

Re: Do I have a chance in Japan? 2016/7/23 02:38
Debian,

I think that taking a 2 year language program is an excellent idea, if you can afford it. Make sure to get an internship during that time so that your professional development doesn't take any breaks.

After that, you should be all set to compete for a place in Japan's workforce.
by Aru (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread