Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese law? P2P etc 2005/3/15 20:39
Hi Everyone,

I am a bit curious regarding what the law in Japan says about P2P downloading and file sharing of copyright protected content?

Is it illegal to download for own use or is only illegal to put up content for downloading?

I am a bit curious on what the law actually says about this in Japan, in some countries (as in Sweden) where I am from downloading for personal use is not specifically illegal (although in a grey zone). It does not seem to be so much as a discussion here in Japan as in the west but does anyone know? I would appreciate if someone could tell me!
by Plainsong  

Same 2005/3/16 11:09
Downloading itself is not necessarily illegal, but uploading/sharing is illegal.

There are some people arrested after uploading or sharing, and now a J file sharing software author has been in litigation.
by pacman rate this post as useful

. 2005/3/16 16:33
grey area, by downloading you are supporting the uploaders in the cycle of crime.
by john rate this post as useful

It's Ilegal everywere! 2005/4/27 07:18
Downloading files with copyrights are illegal in the US the EU ( yes ALSO in Sweden! ) and in Japan...

It's stealing!

People work hard and spends lots of time and money to make something and to keep making it they'll need an income... so by downloading ( stealing ) you make it harder for them to continue!
And with a low budget You get a low quality!

If you want something get a job and buy it... Dont't steal it!
by The Dane rate this post as useful

So, what is the real answer? 2007/10/9 18:51
So, what is the actual law right now in Japan about downloading? I know many of you are opinionated about the subject, but does anyone know the Japanese Law or what the Japanese Government is doing about it? Or is there Japanese RIAA attacking users?
by Newbie rate this post as useful

P2P 2007/10/9 19:04
Newbie,

I'm no lawyer, but my understanding is that the legal situation has not changed since Pacman replied back in 2005.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

The law 2007/10/10 09:51
The law in japan is going to change.
The Japanese ministry of culture is passing a law to make downloading copyright material very illegal and even as far as watching it on Youtube from japan.
No idea on how thats going to be enforced :)
But its happening
by Kevin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread