Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Renting kimono or yukata 2016/7/25 17:08
Which one should I choose? Since we are going there in summer, some of the kimono rental shop offer yukata rental (for cheaper price). I saw their pictures and they look quite similar, apart from the yukata seems to have more vibrant colour and no socks. And they say the yukata is more suitable for summer since its not as thick as kimono.

My question is, what is the difference when renting a yukata as opposed to a kimono? I think kimono has much better fabric compare to yukata, but if you are just wearing it for a day, it shouldn't make much difference? Will it be too hot in late August if I wear a kimono?

And is it weird to wear for tourist to wear kimono on train/bus in kyoto. Thinking of going from Kiyomizudera to Arashiyama with the kimono on.

Thank you.

Thank you
by Bafabifi  

Re: Renting kimono or yukata 2016/7/26 12:05
I would go for the yukata.
They are made of cotton and are pretty thin, so they are perfect for summer.
Kimonos are indeed made of better fabric, thicker and heavier, and typically only worn for ceremonies (weddings, graduations, things like that).
Wearing a yukata in the summer for walking around, visiting a temple or just for the fun of it is relatively common among Japanese, not so much with the kimono.

Once I wore my yukata for a special event at Kiyomizu-dera and I didn't get any weird looks or anything, I even got cheered by a bunch of old Japanese men (not in a creepy way, lol).

Have fun!
by ruby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Renting kimono or yukata 2016/7/28 04:18
Thanks for the info. Will go for the yukata then :) is it comfortable to wear it for the whole day?
by Bafabifi rate this post as useful

Re: Renting kimono or yukata 2016/7/28 09:49
Kimonos are indeed made of better fabric, thicker and heavier, and typically only worn for ceremonies (weddings, graduations, things like that).

No. There are plenty of more casual, everyday kimono in light, comfortable fabrics.

Wearing a yukata in the summer for walking around, visiting a temple or just for the fun of it is relatively common among Japanese, not so much with the kimono.

Also no, there are plenty of people who wear different types of kimono out every day all through the year. Yukata is only for summer, but regular kimono are year-round.

Kimono vs. Yukata is not always a fabric issue; I've got a nice summer-weight cotton kimono that is as light and comfortable as yukata. The difference is in formality, which is usually seen through the obi. Even the lightest summer kimono is in a more formal "category" than yukata, because yukata are seen as the most casual wear. My summer kimono still has rules about which obi is better to use with it, and how to tie it, and what to wear under it (it needs the han-eri collar while yukata doesn't). It doesn't look like a yukata when worn, despite being made of cotton.

Most likely, the kimono that you would wear from the rental place would be a polyester-blend easily washable style which indeed would be a little hotter than yukata (but you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference tbh) and you'd have the tabi socks. Overall, I'd say you'd be more slightly comfortable in yukata, and since its summer its typical for most people to wear yukata around UNLESS you need the formality of a summer-weight kimono (and it doesn't sound like you do). And whether that's what the rental company provides, or just the blended year-round kimono style is anyone's guess.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Renting kimono or yukata 2016/7/28 09:54
It's definitely not as comfortable as jeans and a t-shirt, the obi (the sash/belt thing) is quite tight, and if you don't tighten it enough it kind of moves around. It's not that bad though, there are regular dresses that are also a pain, right?
I don't know what your plan for the day is, but as long as you don't pack too many things in your itinerary you should be fine I guess!
by ruby (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread