Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

To iu no wa and Tte iu no wa? 2016/7/30 13:58
Hi,

I am quite confused about the difference between To iu no wa/ to wa, and Tte iu no wa/ tte. I know the to wa and tte are shortened forms of the two, but I am not sure how they are used.

My textbook only says

X + (Those 4 forms) + Interrogatives/interrogative expressions + ({No}koto) desuka.

I can guess their usage, but not sure if I am using them correctly or not. Can someone explain?

Thanks.
by Japanese Student (guest)  

Re: To iu no wa and Tte iu no wa? 2016/7/30 17:02
Let's say you are talking with your classmates, and they are talking about someone with a nickname you don't recognize (let's say they are saying "Ton-chan" to refer to someone) so you might ask:

- Ton-chan to iu no wa, Tom Henderson no koto desu ka.
- Ton-chan to wa, Tom Henderson no koto desu ka.
- Ton-chan tte iu no wa, Tom Henderson no koto?
- Ton-chan tte, Tom Henderson no koto?

(Who you are referring to as "Ton-chan, is it Tom Henderson?) The first two would be likely used as polite speech, the third one is somewhat casual, and the last "-tte" is clearly informal.

Oh, now I know what the textbook means by "interrogative expression."

- Ton-chan to iu no wa, dare no koto desu ka.
(The one you are referring to as Ton-chan, who is it?) so "Who is it you are referring to as Ton-chan?)

Again, your classmates are talking about a certain restaurant, but they are only saying "ano o-mise" (that shop/restaurant/establishment). So you might ask:

- Ano o-mise to iu no wa, dono o-mise no koto desu ka.
- Ano o-mise towa, dono o-mise no koto desu ka.
- Ano o-mise tte iu no wa, dono o-mise no koto?
- Ano o-mise tte, dono o-mise no koto?

(The one you are referring to as "that establishment," which establishment are you talking about?) so "Which establishment is it that you are referring as "that shop"?"
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: To iu no wa and Tte iu no wa? 2016/7/30 17:30
X + (Those 4 forms)

Approximately:

-towa (written and formal)
-to iunowa (written/spoken and natural)
-tte iunowa (spoken and familiar)
-tte (spoken and casual)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To iu no wa and Tte iu no wa? 2016/7/30 23:08
-towa: it may be used, when a higher-position person says to a lower-position person, like a teacher says to a student.
I only use "-to iunowa" in my conversation. this is neutral, I believe.

broken expressions might be useful, if you use them properly. but, you can't judge what situation is proper or not.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread