Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Quitting My Job in Japan 2016/8/2 22:39
I gave my employer two months' notice as specified in my contract, but my employer refused it. I talked to a General Union member, and he said that my employer cannot refuse it under the law.

Since I submitted my resignation, can I legally just walk out the door on the date I gave my employer?

I am returning to the United States. What paperwork will I need to fill out before I leave Japan? I understand that I need to fill out a "tenshutsu todoke" at the city hall. Is there anything else? I am not signed up for the pension system. I only have the national healthcare insurance.
by Isoroku Yamamoto  

Re: Quitting My Job in Japan 2016/8/3 11:07
This was published yesterday https://blog.gaijinpot.com/leaving-japan-things-you-need-to-do/?utm_ca...

Don't know how accurate it is.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Quitting My Job in Japan 2016/8/3 14:15
No slave labor in Japan; you can leave your job at any time. Now they could sue you for damages if you break your contract, but that's pretty unlikely. If you give the specified notice in your contract, however, you're not even breaking contract, that clause exists for a reason. You might want to be nice and make sure that they know you intend to carry out your resignation as stipulated in your notice, but that's really up to you.

Legally, your ward office (or city hall) should be able to take care of most things for you. Just make sure to get your residence card punched on your way out of the country. Other than that you'll just have to settle all your private accounts and affairs (apartment lease, phone contract, etc., etc.).
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

reply to this thread