Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cell Phone for a year abroad 2016/8/10 11:56
Hey there,

Starting in September, I will be living in Japan for the next year while I study abroad. I mostly have everything figured out (I hope) except for one thing. That is my cell phone service while I'm over there.
My exchange program requires that I have a phone that is capable of recieving phone calls, so a data-only plan probably wouldn't work. And I'm only going to be there for a year, so I can't lock into one of those 2 year contracts. But all of the other options seems to be for very short term trips.

I would like to purchase a new smartphone over there (since the one I used is cracked beyond belief), and I know that I will probably rely a lot on data while I'm over there. Does anyone know of any good phone plan for just a year?

Thanks
by Marissa Blake (guest)  

Re: Cell Phone for a year abroad 2016/8/10 14:38
And I'm only going to be there for a year, so I can't lock into one of those 2 year contracts. But all of the other options seems to be for very short term trips.

For a year stay, a prepaid phone would be the most economical and easiest option. Look into softbank prepaids, they start at around 5000 yen.

I would like to purchase a new smartphone over there (since the one I used is cracked beyond belief), and I know that I will probably rely a lot on data while I'm over there. Does anyone know of any good phone plan for just a year?

You could try to get a contract plan, but it will be difficult. If I were in your situation I would get a prepaid to handle calls, and then a separate smartphone with a month to month prepaid data-only plan for everything else.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cell Phone for a year abroad 2016/8/11 09:12
you can look at MVNOs, most of them sub-lease Docomo or AU line.
lowest start from 1,6++ yen monthly for voice & LTE 3GB data (down to 200kbps when over).
from 2,+++ yen if you sign up with new smart phone.

problem is most require credit card for payment, some may or may not accept foreign bank card.

checkout local electrical store like Yamada or Bic as they have joined plan with MVNOs

FYI info on MVNOs plan
https://tokyocheapo.com/business/japan-sim-card-options-data-voice/

http://www.mondaiji.com/blog/japan/general/10240-sim-only-mobile-provi...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cell Phone for a year abroad 2016/8/13 05:46
i got a 2 year contract and then just paid the cancellation fee.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cell Phone for a year abroad 2016/8/13 18:43
i got a 2 year contract and then just paid the cancellation fee.

Yes, this is very possible to do. You may just have to shop around a bit to find a place that will sign you up with less than 2-3 years on your visa. Note the cancellation fee is 10,000 plus whatever you own on the phone at the time of cancellation (roughly 60% the cost of the phone if you use it for one year).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread