Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Master's degree at japanese graduate school 2016/8/12 02:01
Hello everyone,
I've come to this forum because I'm a bit worried about the path I should take in the next months/years, mainly because I don't know much about universities outside of my country.

A little bit about myself ; I'm 23, Belgian and I live in Belgium. I hold a bachelor's degree in translation/interpretation in French, German and English. However, Japanese and Japan are the only things that I've really been interested in during the past 7 years or so. I've been learning the language for 3 or 4 years but that has never been related to my studies in any way.

I've often read that it's quite difficult to move to Japan, that you need to have a job prior to arriving, etc. so that's why studying seems to be a great opportunity to actually live there for a while.
This is why I'd like to pursue my studies in Japan by doing an English-taught master's degree there.

I'm thinking about applying for a degree in cultural studies or global communication, I don't know how tough it will be without the knowledge from the undergraduate courses in the same fields, given that I did only have a few similar courses during my bachelor program.

Also, how much of the 2 years is dedicated to writing the thesis ? In my country we decide what we want to write our thesis about during the second year but here it seems like I have to write about my thesis plans in my application already and that worries me a bit. Is it common to decide on the research topic before applying ?

I think I can still make it for the autumn term, I already took the TOEFL test last month with a score of 112.
So far I'm thinking about applying at
- Waseda's GSICCS (Graduate School of International Culture and Communication Studies)
http://www.waseda.jp/fire/gsiccs/en/about/
- AIU's Global Communication Practices program
(http://web.aiu.ac.jp/en/degree/graduate-program/)

Does someone happen to know about other English-taught graduate programs in fields such as cultural studies and global communication ?

Sorry if I'm just writing too much about my life and not asking clear questions but I'd like to hear the opinion of people who have more experience than me, and I don't have any relative or friend who attended university outside of my country so it's hard for me to ask my questions.

Thank you for your time
by MarSch27  

Re: Master's degree at japanese graduate school 2016/8/12 13:06
How is your Japanese ability? If you've been learning for four years then there's a chance that it would be easier just to get a job. Plenty of opportunities here for someone who speaks four languages.

Only reason I mention is that you almost make it sound like you want to use study as a route into the country. If you already have a degree then there may be cheaper and more painless routes in. It isn't hard to move to Japan, personally I find the system very very relaxed, no points or anything like that, if you have a degree, and an employer who has genuine need for a foreign employee, then you are more or less in. It's only difficult compared to the EU where you can literally decide you want to move to Italy tomorrow, walk across the border unchecked, and start working.
by Lz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Master's degree at japanese graduate school 2016/8/12 18:41
Hello my friend, i think me and you and me share two shings
1- we want to live in japan
2- finished bachelor and looking for master degree

here what i did , since i finished the bachelor degree in may , i applied immedietly to japanese language school in osaka, and im waiting the COE to get visa and then start school in October.

what im gonna do is that testing the life there in first weeks and then start applying
1- part time job if i gonna continue study the language.
2- Full time job if i get it right away ( i hoooope)
3- Master degree for whatever around these fields ( busineess international, global communication , tourism , urban studies )

So im from Saudi Arabia and finshed the bachelor degree in Canada ( and i dont have Government support anymore they wont help me ) so im gonna take the risks ,, hope i will sruvive and achieve what i want . nice to meet you man ,, and im 28 tho.
by Non Jap and Non Native English speaker (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Master's degree at japanese graduate school 2016/8/12 18:41
It depends heavily on your Japanese ability (and I would say in real life rather than a test - for example, the JLPT is useless at measuring the ability to communicate).

What do you want to do as a job, and how much have you looked at the job sites? It might be easier to simply get a job rather than spending money on more university (assuming you have the money to spend living as a student).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Master's degree at japanese graduate school 2016/8/13 21:37
@Lz and JapanCustomTours : Trying to get a job instead of doing further studies makes sense, you're right. however, I really want to get a master's degree before I start working because it's almost impossible to get a good job in Belgium without that degree. Compared to Japan it's the complete opposite, a bachelor's degree alone is worth nothing here. Who knows what will happen in the future and there are chances that I'll have to find a job in Belgium some day in my life, that's why I want to get a master's degree.

So studying would be a route into the country, but not only that.
Lz, I'm glad to read that you don't find it hard to move to Japan, thanks for the answer !

@Non Jap : For some reason I never took language schools into account, probably because I don't want to spend one more year before starting the master's degree, and also because the programs I'm interested in are available fully in English anyway. If I'm accepted, then I'd take Japanese classes at the same time while I'm there, if possible.
Maybe you should consider doing your master in English too ? Especially as you said that you have limited financial support, this way you could save up the fees of one year of language school.
Good luck !
by MarSch27 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread