Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English to Japanese - "Divine Guidance" 2016/8/15 14:48
Hello!, JG users!
Sorry to start with somewhat of an abrasive disclaimer but..
I'm obviously looking for help, so if I'm just gonna be bashed on by local thread pro's for not following certain protocol or seeming lost? I'd kindly ask you to consider the above before you reply and avoid replying if you aren't genuine in attempting to help.

My scenario is..
I've been trying to come up with a new name for my competitive handle, since I play fighting games in local tournaments. That personal info aside. I recently decided I'd like to call myself "Divine Guidance" or something to that effect. Maybe "Guided Divinely" or just something along those lines.

However, I don't know where to begin looking for proper translation. I've been told elsewhere not to trust google trans.

(before this gets painfully long)

Longer to short, I'd like to follow through with the idea.
But I have no idea where to find trustworthy translation AND on top of that I don't wanna have a huge sentence-like nickname. I'm not sure if there is a specific way to translate the phrase for a proper title.

Thanks to whoever helps in advance. Sorry for the long read.
by JSB (guest)  

Re: English to Japanese - 2016/8/15 17:23
If that noun phrase is OK as it is (I mean, it doesn't really sound like a name), then it is "Kami no michibiki" 神の導き, guidance by god. If you want something like "revelation" (in the biblical sense) it it "Tenkei," 天啓, but maybe that's a bit different from what you are looking for.

When you start turning it around to say "the one guided by god," I guess that's when it turns into almost a sentence :) but if you want it, it would be "Kami ni michibikareshi mono," 神に導かれし者.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: 2016/8/16 13:45
Thanks a whole bunch!

Revelation, feels similar to what I wanted.
However may I also ask for a proper translation to "Muse" & "Inspiration" as well?

Your brilliant idea to use the word revelation, kinda got the ball rolling and I wanna weigh-out these last few options.

Again, thanks! I genuinely appreciate it. =}
by JSB (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: English to Japanese - 2016/8/16 13:52
"Muse" as goddess? Then it is "megami" 女神.

"Inspiration" (in the non-religious sense, as in something inspiring an artist to create something) is often romanized into "insupireeshon," インスピレーション, so not that interesting. There is a kanji word for it, "reikan," 霊感, but (in my view) it is not "cool" as a name if you know what I mean :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread