Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 08:05
Il be leaving for japan on August 29 and planning to stay for 30 days but my visa expires on Sept 24.
My agency said this is possible, but I want to be sure.
Your feedback is very much appreciated.
by Erna muyano (guest)  

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 11:24
you cannot stay longer then your visa.
by .,., (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 11:43
No, not possible. You will be in the country illegally and could be arrested, detained for weeks/months (yes, really - it happens) and then deported (and bared from returning for five years). Your "agency" sound like idiots.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 11:54
As mentioned you are not allow to stay over the expiry date. Overstay your expiry date will definitely get ymu arrested and ban/blacklist for few years.

You should make application to change status to temporary/tourist at immigration if you want to stay longer for tour or vacation purpose. Extension if you plan to continue working.

Double check with your agency and immigration.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 12:06
Are you talking about the validity of your visa, meaning by when you need to "enter" Japan, or are you talking about the length of your "stay" once you have entered Japan?

If you have a visa in your passport that says it is valid until Sept. 24, that means you need to use it to "enter" Japan before that date.

Once you enter Japan, you get a stamp in your passport that tells you until when you can stay. How many days you are allowed to stay on your Temporary Visitor status once you arrived in Japan is different depending on your nationality. That may well be 30 days.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 15:35
To assist answering the question, what country/passport are you travelling on?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 16:30

Il be leaving for japan on August 29 and planning to stay for 30 days but my visa expires on Sept 24.

Sounds like the OP was talking about the validity of the entree visa , not the stay permit.
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 18:10
Although some people can't seem to grasp it, it is very simple:

1) You must enter Japan before your visa expires.
2) After you enter Japan, you can stay for the duration mentioned on your visa.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 19:57
point no.2 need some correction.

1) You must enter Japan before your visa expires (which you got from embassy).
2) After you enter Japan, you can stay for the duration mentioned on your landing permission stamp (which you'll get at point of entry in Japan if they allowed you in) .

by ..@ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 22:57
if you overstay for a short time, you can go out from Japan, without being arrested. it is so called as 自主出国.
if you don't have any plan to come back to Japan, you can do it.
I believe that they put a yellow (or red) flag on your record.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 23:50
The duration of stay on the landing permission is always the same as the one on the visa.

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/22 23:59
The "voluntary departure" system is probably not relevant here, but for reference here's how it works. If

1) you have overstayed your status (no matter by how much);
2) you have not otherwise violated any immigration laws;
3) you have not used this system previously;
4) you present yourself to an immigration bureau voluntarily; and
5) you intend to leave Japan immediately;

then immigration will allow you to leave on your own without arresting or deporting you, and you will only be barred from re-entering for one year.

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/23 07:08
The duration of stay on the landing permission is always the same as the one on the visa.

Thats not completely accurate, and ..@ is correct that the only duration that matters is the one written on the landing permission stamp. The final decision of your period of stay is made by the immigration officer that admits you. She doesn't have to match the period of stay of the visa, but in praxis almost always does.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/23 08:57
Japan costum said I can enter Japan on or before the expiration of my visa wc is on Sept 24, and stay there 3 months as approved duration of my stay...thank you , your answer is very much appreciated and others too shall be enlightened with your reply.
by Erna muyano (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Length of stay after visa expires 2016/8/23 11:35
and stay there 3 months as approved duration of my stay..
just becareful with that. Check the landing permission stamp that will be given by Immigration at the airport. It will show the length of stay that is allowed.
Again it will depend on the Visa Status, country and Immigration officer that day.

Be sure that check the date stamp.
by ..@ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread