Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Selling CDs - prices? 2016/8/29 19:52
Might be a how long's a piece of string argument, but typically what do stores like Book Off and others pay per CD?

I have about 200 CDs of music like Stones, Genesis, Adele, Britpop, Beatles, 50s, 60s, 70s, Elvis and so on, that I'd like to sell before going back home.

Just wondering if best to sell to a store for simplicity, or privately as a job lot.
by Max (guest)  

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/8/30 10:45
Bookoff is there are things most recent CD is to buy high.
However, generally cheap.
If the lock system, more of disk union might be a higher purchase price.
I have had the purchase of courier purchase and the store.
http://diskunion.net/st/kaitori.html
http://diskunion.net/st/shop/e_index.html
Reference price of purchase
http://diskunion.net/st/about_kaitori/sample/kaitori_sample.html
When I sold, the more minor ones were sold high.
Or, Yahoo auction if it is Japanese, if the English ebay like.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/8/30 12:29
In my experience, Disk Union pays a lot more than Book Off, but it's still pretty negligible. I'd expect maybe 4,000-8,000 yen for your collection. Used CDs of popular artists just aren't worth much these days.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/8/30 15:05
I normally sell at Surugaya online store.
http://www.suruga-ya.jp/
But, I'm not sure how much your Japanese language ability is. They only trade in Japanese language.
Those goods Surugaya doesn't buy, I take them to Bookoff. Bookoff buys if they are in good condition at least between 5-30 Yen per CDs. I don't think Bookoff puts at good price on the Beatles, they are low demand in used market.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/8/31 07:23
Tokyofriend

For 5-30 yen per cd, I wouldn't be selling, I'd be donating...
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/8/31 09:19
For 5-30 yen per cd, I wouldn't be selling, I'd be donating...

Unfortunately, that is the second hand market in Japan. Selling on auction and craigslist will net you a marginally better return but it takes a lot of time and effort. Otherwise, you need to seriously consider whether it is worth the train fare/gas money to head down to the store.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/8/31 19:26
Bookoff only judge whether the good is new or old, clean or unclean, they don't judge on the market value basis.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/8/31 20:54
So, basically, these stores are asking YOU to give your CDs away so that THEY can make money out of them?!?!

Is this some kind of Bizzaro parallel universe??
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/9/1 09:40
So, basically, these stores are asking YOU to give your CDs away so that THEY can make money out of them?!?!
Is this some kind of Bizzaro parallel universe??

In the age of digital downloads, exactly how much do you think used CDs are worth? Also, other than a CD/DVD/BluRay drive in a computer (which are getting more and more rare these days) how many people do you think have the means to play the CDs compared to those that just download and off-load to a portable device like a phone?

CDs are now archaic....sad but true.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/9/1 10:04

Yep, that's the basic business model. Japan prices are particularly low, but this is pretty standard stuff in the commercial second hand industry, especially with last generation media formats.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/9/1 17:49
CDs are worth nothing nowadays. Maybe if it was 2006, you might get something for them.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Selling CDs - prices? 2016/9/2 07:39
About CD dinosaurs, fair point. I suppose it's times is over..
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

Selling CDs - prices? 2016/9/2 16:28
They almost go for nothing. Just like used books. Nowadays it costs money to dispose of things. Perhaps I should be thankful that I get money for them even if it is a small amount if I think of the cost of disposing of them. I love CD's and records. The sound quality is much better than that of downloaded one but I CD's are getting out of date...
by Mz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread