Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 15:53
Hello every one,

i give a birth to baby recently i have a houken i have normal delivery and when i see the bost of the hospital is to high even my houken can not cover it i have to pay more 160000 yen i am confused why its to high even i have a normal delivery got sad because when i was admittied in hospitl they do lot of check up for me i was so screwed i think they are doing that only to make there own money i am now in deep trouble i think may be i can pay 50 to 60000 yen but it goes like 160000 my houken also pay like 400000 yen---------i don,t have any thing now my question is that is Japan city hall will give me omedetou money or they pay it like what i say before 400000 to hospital-----------don,t get me wrong but i don,t have work now and also don,t have any thing if any one can suggest what will be the process to recieve omedetou amount i will really appreciate

thanks
by Cherry (guest)  

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 16:21
Congratulations on your baby's birth, first of all.

"Normal delivery" is not covered by health insurance, and the total hospital bill seems to range from 300,000 - 700,000, and most (in average) 500,000 - 600,000 yen, as it seems.

And the money "shussan ikuji ichijikin" (lumpsum payment for childbirth - probably what you are referring to as "omedetou money") from your insurance 390,000 yen or so will be provided to you.

If you showed the health insurance card to the hospital, and told them to do so, this money can be paid directly to the hospital to cover the expenses, if the total bill is more than that, the rest needs to be paid by you.

Or, if you don't start the process before childbirth, you might have to pay the whole bill first, then you can claim it later at the city hall's insurance counter.

I am sure that the hospital knows the procedure for the application, so please ask them. If your income is low, I am sure there is a way to get some kind of relief, and also if your total medical/hospital bills go over a certain amount over the year, you can file for deduction.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 17:01
Thanks for the reply---as you said that normal delivery is 500,000 to 700,000----i think my houken paid direct to the hospital its almost like 400,000 yen and other then that i pay 160,000 in cash------one of my friend say it to me before that after giving birth i will recieve omedetou amount don,t know and don,t have any knowledge about it--------may be from city hall they will send it in my account after reporting them and by giving birth certificate and inform them about kid i know about kodomoyate amount in every three months but about omedtou money don,t know so confused----
by Cherry (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 17:29
Oh so you're familiar with the 400,000 yen amount - I don't know where you live, but some municipal government seem to have the "shussan iwai kin" (childbirth congratulatory money), but this depends on which city/prefecture you live in. You will need to check with your city hall about this.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 17:37
Did you not talk with the hospital about payment options before choosing which hospital to use to give birth? Some hospitals are more expensive than others, and choosing things like a private room versus a 4-person room, etc., or requesting certain procedures like an epidural may also drive up the costs.

As AK said, there is the lump sum payment for childbirth. For this amount, you either arrange ahead of time with the hospital to get directly, and then pay yourself however much over you go (if you do), or you pay the full amount of the bill directly to the hospital then are reimbursed up to the lump sum amount. At this time, the payment amount is 420,000 yen. Any amount over that you pay out of your own pocket.

Beyond that, I've never heard of "omedetou money" for childbirth, and being pregnant myself have been researching pretty heavily anything to do with it. My city gives a small allowance each month to anyone with children, but its only something like 10000 yen per child (though I think it increases if you have more kids). This just covers basic expenses.

I think your best option is to take the bill to city hall and ask them about it. They may be able to work out a payment plan between you and the hospital, and can give advice on if there is any other money you might receive, as well as what to do if you can't repay the amount all at once.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 19:51
Hey guys thanks for the reply,

about my hospital expenses the hospital staff told me about private rooms its round about 5000 per day i feel terrible pain in my stomach on 16,08,2016 i have to rush to the hospital where they admitt me for one day and monitor me for a day and night but next morning doctor send me to the home by saying that to wait for a week----i have paid for that night 60000 yen for one night in cash though i have a houken before and now i am in the houken of my husband he is working....then after 7 days i feel pain again and go i get labour i spend 5 days again-------5 x 5000 for room is = 25000 + food extra suppose 15000= total 40,000.....but i paid to them 100,000 yen again--------i think may be thats all the expenses for the delivery-------they give me three reciepts one is 402000, the other one is 60789, the third one is 100,000--------don,t get it why they give me the 3 reciepts--------all i paid is 160789 in cash----------i am thinking if my houken will pay that then for a one night why should i pay 60789,,,,for monitoring--------------------------- for the treatment like going to OB/Gyn doctor city hall give me a book where there is reciepts and amount is written there when i go for monthly check they take the amount reciept from that book-------got confused i am living in anjo

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 19:57
scarreddragon may i know in which city you are living i have a friend she has 2 kids and City hall pay them kodmoyate amount for 3 months 100,000 yen-------don,t know about more about it but my friend tell me like that once i have with her she with draw amount of kodomoyate in front of me which is 100,000 yen its not monthly after 3 months

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 22:29
Cherry, I am father of child born in Japan so some of my experience might be useful
Based on your explanation in above post, it's no surprise why hospital charged you more! You could have given this facts earlier

When my wife delivered our baby, we were charged about 150,000Yen because my wife had long labor and we used labor room more than expected, we paid it that's life, hospital need to
Charge for the use of their facilities
I got a postcard from insurance company after 2-3 weeks that I might be eligible for claim and when I sent my receipts with claims I got back around 90,000 yen-so please keep receipts with you and check with insurance company

Also about money from ward office, don't put some statistics here, go to ward office and check for yourself
by Father (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 23:29
father thanks for a very valuable information i should wait for the insurance call or card and let me discuss it with my husband friend he know all about that kind of things as he told us about the amount come from ward office not for sure --------------even if its not refund able its also fine because i have my baby now------sorry i share it here because i don,t have any knowledge about that-------well father thanks again your information will help me alot as i say before i spend 5 days in hospital and one day before so for the one night they charge me so high thats whyi feel little bit sad----i have normal delivery then why the bill is so high i will go to ward office and confirm it from there

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/3 23:31
I think some of the problem here is the assumption that your social or national health insurance will pay for the medical expenses of child birth, but unless you've got extra private insurance, it won't. The coupon book you got from city hall IS basically your insurance; each city's is a little different, but that makes the necessary appointments and procedures throughout the pregnancy cheaper or sometimes even free (it depends on the hospital, where you live, etc.). The lump sum payment at the end is the same; it isn't something covered by social or national health insurance, but separate from that.

Now if your husband has additional private insurance, it might be a different story, so you'll need to ask him what plan he's got, if he does. Some companies also provide additional insurance for their employees, so it could also depend on where he works. Again, you need to ask him about that.

Next, you just stated the basic costs of room and board. The use of the hospital rooms for delivery, the staff who attended you, the machines and medicines they used, the doctors time etc. etc. also all costs money. They should have been able to give you a general idea of the total average costs for a 5 day stay (for example) when you decided on the hospital. Obviously any emergency procedures or other things will cost extra. All in all, it sounds to me pretty average from what I've read of child birth in Japan. It also looks to me from your figures that the 402000 is the lump sum payment the hospital either applied for or received on your behalf, and then the rest (160789) is the overage that you are required to pay.

Finally, the monthly allowance for children differs depending on the city. The 10000 above was only an estimate; looking it up, in my area you get 15000 per month until the age of three, then it goes down to 10000...but that doesn't matter because it will probably be different for you anyway.

But the overall point is that it sounds like you will need to pay for the 160789 out of pocket unless your husband or his company has you on an extra plan that may reimburse you in the future. You will want to talk with your husband about what his plan/company may be able to provide. You will want to talk with city hall to confirm future payments of the child allowance and how much it is. And in the end, you may even want to talk with the hospital to understand the breakdown of costs so you don't feel so bad about the experience.

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/4 01:55
yup i think your are right let see what happened before i work for 4 year and have my own shakai houken but since from when i stop working i use my husband shakai houken and the boss of my husband say before that we recieved money from city hall called omedetou money------------i will would try to figure it out as my husband is cool minded person but you know i feel sad because we are paying a hudge amount for shakai houken every month and after that we pay like that kind of amount it makes me hurt----------i talk to my husband about that but he say that don,t think about it he said he pay for me and for the baby and we are lucky that we have a healthy baby money is not an issue if we recieved fine if not no problem thats my husband words--------but you know female nature i think about him he works hard all day and in a seconds you pay a hudge amount like that its hurt me not my husband--------------well let see i will go to city hall and confirm it from there thanks to all who reply

Re: Give birth to a baby 2016/9/4 11:39
But even with social health insurance, you're responsible for paying 30% of all your health bills unless you've also got private insurance. So if you look at it like that, that's basically what you're paying with the hospital bill too, even though its technically not covered by social health insurance at all. Instead of your health insurance plan covering the 70%, the government does. You're still responsible for that 30%. That's how the system works here!

Anyway, it sounds like you should listen to your husband and let him handle it. The hospital got you through your labor and gave you a healthy baby, and that is the most important thing!

reply to this thread